Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm heading to Orange Beach, AL for vacation in a couple of months and am thinking of bringing our '08 YWR FX Cruiser HO. I've never been on the Gulf or any oceans and have a couple of questions:

1. What do I need to do to prepare for the beach?

2. What type ride should I expect versus a lake?

3. What are the gotchas (I read the blond's sandbar incident)?

4. Can I beach my ski without damaging and, if so, how?

5. What do I need to do once I leave vacation?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this has already been covered. I searched "beach" (loads of results) and "park on beach" (no results).

Wxpunk

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Alright, so I'm heading to Orange Beach, AL for vacation in a couple of months and am thinking of bringing our '08 YWR FX Cruiser HO. I've never been on the Gulf or any oceans and have a couple of questions:

1. What do I need to do to prepare for the beach?

2. What type ride should I expect versus a lake?

3. What are the gotchas (I read the blond's sandbar incident)?

4. Can I beach my ski without damaging and, if so, how?

5. What do I need to do once I leave vacation?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this has already been covered. I searched "beach" (loads of results) and "park on beach" (no results).

Wxpunk
Nice Ride! I've got the same machine. I used to live in Ocean Springs, MS just down the road a ways, but I can't tell you exactly what to expect in AL, but here are my 2 cents:
1. Consider spraying the engine down with CRC or CrossionX or similar product to protect from salt before you go out.
2. I think you could stay in the Bay and expect about the same ride as a large lake (can get choppy with the wind, but the FX should handle it no problem). You may have a lot of traffic in this area. This area of the gulf is generally pretty calm even in the ocean unless there is a storm. If you plan to get out into the ocean you have many more things to consider (VHF radio, filing a ride plan, GPS, etc...) Personally I would not ride alone in the ocean, even close to shore. There are just too many things that can go wrong. There may be restrictions for launching from the beach.
3. I don't know about that specific area, but the gulf in general has lots of shallow areas, islands, etc. that can grab a ski. In MS the water quality is not the greatest in some areas, and you may need to find out where it is OK to swim. Right now I'd be worried about the oil spill heading that way.....that could really screw up a ski.
4. You can beach a ski without damage if you discount scratches. Having the same hull (nanocel) I would highly recommend avoiding beaching your ski. The nanocel scratches easily and shows scratches much more readily than the older fiberglass hulls. It will look like crap, but still function OK (I speak from experience on this). There is a thin layer of black paint on the nanocel hull, and when you scratch (even on fine sand) it you will have white scratches that really stand out. Get yourself an anchor and leave the ski off the beach in a couple of feet of water to protect the hull.
5. You will need to flush the ski after each use in salt water (I would not let it sit overnight without a flush). Consider a final flush with Salt Away after your last ride. I'd also use Salt Away to rinse off the engine and engine compartment, and the rest of the ski before you head home.

Consider leaving your ski at home and renting one there.............more expensive, but less headaches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice, thanks! I've had time to discuss it with my wife and brother-in-law and have decided to leave it home. I really don't want to risk jacking up my baby! Plus, we'll have to take the 4Runner instead of the Odyssey which is smaller and has no DVD player for the kids! Not to mention the trip will take longer and cost more fuel ($2.95/gal up here!).

Anyhow, thanks again and enjoy the toy!

Wxpunk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts