Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im new to the forum so please excuse me if this question has been asked 1000x. Im new to the PWC world, and am looking to buy my first PWC. I have a budget of around 12,000 and am interested in all brands. I will be using it to wakeboard with friends as well as some solo riding. I would like to know what brand would be best for these needs as well as what model? Also, how reliable are these models and will I be paying alot for repairs. ALSO, how long will jetskis typically last if cared for well in the winter. I will be riding in the ocean so yes it may get banged up somewhat. I really appreciate any/all help!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
First of all you will not be happy wakeboarding with any ski on the market. Skis just do not have enough weight to displace enough water to create a wake that would make any but the most novice wakeboardrers happy. If you are really into wakeboarding, I'd save your money for a boat.

Asking what type of ski to buy is sort of like asking what car should I buy. Your going to find Yamaha, Seadoo, Kawasaki, and maybe even a few Honda guys are left on this forum, so you will get many different opinions. There are many many choices that could fit your needs.

Riding is salt water is going to be extremely hard on any brand of ski. How long the ski will last will be directly related to how well you maintain it. Are you willing to spend the time doing the maintenance or paying to have it done, flushing and cleaning the ski after each time you ride it? The answers to those questions will be much more important in determining how long the ski will last, and how many repairs will be needed than the brand of ski you buy.

My advice is to do more research. Come up with several model of skis that you are interested in that fit your price range, then post back with more specific questions, like "I'm considering Ski X, Y, and Z, what do you think, what are the advantages, disadvantages, or known problems with these models?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was about to ask the same question, and have done a little research already. It's good to know that no ski will be sufficient for any but beginner wake boarders, but fortunately that's what we are. And skiers. I'd like to ski/wake myself, but I weigh 220, will the skis that I'm considering pull me up? Here's a starting list for me:

2011 Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra LX
2011 Sea-Doo GTI Limited 155
2011 Yamaha VX Deluxe

I'll be in fresh water, and also have about a $12k max budget.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and opinions!

·
Registered
298 Posts
That new Kawasaki 300 is Sweet. I looked at it for my wife and kids a couple weeks ago when I was buying my new 800

·
Registered
30 Posts
In your price range the new (for 2011) Yamaha VXR/VXS is a lot of ski for the money. 1800cc NA engine, good fuel economy, fast, nimble and very reliable.
VXR has the boarding step, which is a plus if you plan to carry a passenger (skier).

·
Registered
23 Posts
In your price range the new (for 2011) Yamaha VXR/VXS is a lot of ski for the money. 1800cc NA engine, good fuel economy, fast, nimble and very reliable.
VXR has the boarding step, which is a plus if you plan to carry a passenger (skier).
Thanks Kelly. I'll check into them. Hope they will pull my big 220lb ass up out of the water!:laugh:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just about any of the newer 4 strokes can pull a large adult out of the water with no big problem. Problems will happen when you try to turn on your skis, and that extra force on the back of the PWC will make it very unstable, and potentially dangerous for whoever is driving.

So, if all you want to do is go in straight lines behind the ski you will be OK, no slalom skiing. PWCs work OK for pulling novice skiers and kids in tubes.

I own a boat and a pwc, and I can assure you if you are really big into wakeboarding, or water skiing you will not be at all happy behind a PWC, save your money for a boat.

That said, I'd agree with Kelly A. Look at the Yamaha VXR/VXS models. Very powerful ski with fairly fuel efficient motor, and Yamaha reliability within a $12000 budget including a trailer. The big Kawasaki skis look great, but they are big fuel hogs, and there have been many reliability issues especially with the supercharged models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
that extra force on the back of the PWC will make it very unstable, and potentially dangerous for whoever is driving.
Very good point! I did not consider that. Thanks very much for that suggestion, and your others too. It's really valuable to get such good info!

thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts