Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So this will be my very first Jet Ski purchase. A couple reasons why I would like to buy brand new is #1 to help build my credit (I have no credit history and just recently found out how important it is) and #2 I've been doing really well saving money and have the proper funds to make a big purchase for something like a brand new Jet Ski.

Right now, I'm looking to buy a Sea Doo 3UP Spark Trixx. The dealer priced me out at 10,500 with a brand new trailer. To me this seems way too high, but all of this is new to me.. Will I not find a better deal buying brand new? Again, the main reason I want to go new is to build my credit but would also like to go about buying my first jet ski the best way possible. Best bang for the buck.

Please help talk me into, or out of this purchase.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well the old saying is when you buy used you are buying someones problems. I also prefer to buy new because there are no nasty surprises. I bought my ski new from the dealer. It has been a very worthy experience. I have had my share of problems since I purchased in 2002 but then that is to be expected. The FUN significantly outweighs the problems. I bought a cover with mine. No regrets about that.

You will of course need to purchase life vests, a whistle, numbers for the hull, pay the property tax and get the hull sticker, ropes, and various other little items

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, I've thought about all that. I guess from what I've researched and how much I see the bigger skis for, Since I'm spending 10 grand on a somewhat less powerful ski, do I spend the extra 1000 or 2000 on the bigger ones?

I do hear, "well it all comes down to what you want to be doing on the water. Having fun and getting wet, or enjoying time pulling friends around" and I feel like I most definitely just want to be out there on the water having fun. Maybe tow a friend or two every now and then.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The way my life works is that I usually see what will make me happy and I also note that it is a little more that I was planning to spend. I do not like the thought of regret after a major purchase so I will typically go ahead with the additional cost. In the end, I am happy and the money is forgotten. This is just the way it works for me personally.

Of course it is up to you and you have to do what is right for you BUT I would personally go for the bigger one. I have the FX (which is the largest Yamaha, designed for luxury) and I have zero regrets. Five years from now the money will not matter

The bottom line is that you should do what makes you happy

If I purchased today I would get this one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're making a lot of sense. Thank you. Really wish there weren't so many options... lol

With your experience, Since I'm trying to buy brand new, I'm probably guaranteed to spend at least 10k ya? No matter how small I go? Sure the base model Spark is cheap but I would like reverse and some storage space...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm probably guaranteed to spend at least 10k ya?
I paid a little over 10k for my 2002 Yamaha FX140. I bought it new (from a dealer) in 2003. If I were to purchase today I would expect to pay between 13k and 17k. (I know they have a bottom of the line model but that is not something I would even consider) Not exactly sure of the exact prices but they are higher now days of course. I view the Yamaha line-up as small, medium, large, and race.

The serious complaint I hear about the SeaDoo is the part called the "wear ring". I do not know how much validity the complaint has. The wear-ring is the cylindrical part that surrounds the impeller. On my Yamaha the ring is made of metal. On some and maybe-all (I do not know) of the SeaDoos, the ring is made of plastic. Plastic gets grooved, cut, and torn-up much easier than metal. There are some reviews on it. I would look into that issue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In 2002 there were 4 players. Seadoo, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha.

Honda has gone under and Seadoo has innovated and improved in order to compete. Kawasaki seems to be about power and no frills. Yamaha seem to be the most stable all-round producer but still in steep competition with Kawasaki and Seadoo. Just my personal opinion

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't think you can really go significantly wrong whichever one you choose. Just make yourself happy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is what I found. When I was looking as you are I wanted to rent all the various brands of jet skis and try them all. Guess what. No one has anything to rent except Yamaha. And they all said the same thing, they are the most reliable. I have a 2015 VX Deluxe with 150 hrs that I take out and spank pretty hard. I just have a slight off center steering problem I need to look into and had I to buy a new seat recently. Vinyl is no match for the hot Texas sun. It still has as much power as the day it was new and still goes 53 mph.
Be safe

·
Registered
588 Posts
No one has anything to rent except Yamaha. And they all said the same thing, they are the most reliable.
That does not surprise me and I am glad to hear it.

I have only owned one so far and it is a Yamaha. I do remember that when I purchased (WAY back in 2003) I remember I was torn between brands. They all seemed like a good product.

There are some hard core Kawi fans out there and there are some hard core Yami fans out there. There are also a few out there that absolute HATE Seadoo. I actually think the Seadoo is a serious contender due to their creativity and innovativeness.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
OK, just saw another Seadoo hull fracture posted with good pictures this time. I can't see any apparent impact point, so I'm going out on a limb and saying the larger Seadoo craft hulls are trash. I haven't seen anything about the Spark hulls yet, and the kids have a couple, and other the wear ring issues, have been problem free, and they don't baby them, but not abused either.
I would stay away from Seadoo's newer than say 2014.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm gonna disagree a bit. Devils advocate so to speak. Properly maintained, 4 stroke PWC's last a long time. Basically the motor is like a motorcycle engine. And the rest of it can last for hundreds of hours and for years--if you keep it clean and covered and don't suck up rocks, weeds, or ropes. Buy a cover, too.

My brother has a Seadoo that's about 10 years old, he paid cash and bought it new. Supercharged, goes almost as fast as a big 2 stroke. It's a lovely ski, he has it anchored on Lake Tahoe and rides it year after year. It's legal for The Lake, as it doesn't discharge any hydrocarbons into the water and no oil.

The thing with financing expensive toys is that you have to carry insurance against any loss. And you pay interest--which really kicks affordability in the butt. You CAN find good used late model skis that you can afford. 4 strokes, anything you buy you should have a qualified mechanic do a pre purchase inspection. AND you should be allowed to ride it on a lake or river to see what it does. Expensive toys lose 15% to 30% when you take them home. Pretty shocking!

I started my credit history almost 50 years ago with a car loan at a Credit Union. Best bang for the buck. I wouldn't finance at the dealer, those loans are often revolving charge and may give you a good rate the first year, but then go up to the stratosphere. Don't ask me how I know.

My current ski is an 01 Polaris Genesis and I had to put a couple of hundred in to get it to run the way I want. Low hours and looks pretty good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Properly maintained, 4 stroke PWC's last a long time. Basically the motor is like a motorcycle engine.
I agree with you Brian. I see a lot of postings claiming the life of a jet ski engine is 200 to 400 hours. I have not bought into that.

Although I do tend to get rid of my cars when they get to a certain age. I maintain them of course but at a certain age I feel as if everything on the car is close to its breaking point.

My concern with owning an old ski is that the replacement parts are very expensive. The starter, fuel pump, ECU, ect. are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. And they are going to break sooner or later. No way around that

I am psychologically up for a new ski just have not reached the mental financial commitment phase yet

·
Registered
588 Posts
OK, just saw another Seadoo hull fracture posted with good pictures this time. I can't see any apparent impact point, so I'm going out on a limb and saying the larger Seadoo craft hulls are trash. I haven't seen anything about the Spark hulls yet, and the kids have a couple, and other the wear ring issues, have been problem free, and they don't baby them, but not abused either.
I would stay away from Seadoo's newer than say 2014.
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Seadoo and your opinion

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just fyi, I'm seeing complaints of Seadoo hull integrity and carbon seal issues.
Reference:

Which seal? Where is this seal located? Is this by chance a rotary seal on the drive shaft? Pardon my ignorance. Just a guess but would like to know

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lee my vehicles are all senior citizens. My 96 Dodge Dakota has 253000 mile and still is tight, runs like new, and isn't embarrassing. Can't see getting rid of it. Same with my 02 Prius, but it only has 203,000. Least reliable is the lowest mileage , my Porsche boxster. Fun but a money pit. I live where stuff does wear out, but nothing rusts so it's really worth putting new stuff on to keep the old girls happy

I'd love to have a new Yamaha, but I live too far from a lake and it's more money than I'd spend on one. So the big ol Polaris tuna boat will have to suffice, and I'll keep pluggin away at it to get it running well and then keep it that way.:tango_face_smile_bi

1 - 20 of 36 Posts