Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had kaws and yamaha in the past and never heard any noise like this. on my 02 virage tx 1200 that i just bought, 55 hours by the way, when im riding and i leave the water and come back down i hear a quick grinding noise for just a split second. then when the ski hooks up again it stops. it sounds almost like the impeller is rubbing the edge of the housing or something. i dont hear it when goung straight. mostly into a turn. so im sort of jumping a wave and coming down a little sideways into a turn.
please tell me this is normal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A grinding noise is never normal or good! A chatter can be explained away and is admissable...

When this happens, you're certain that it's not the engine revving or hitting a rev limiter?

It could be a bearing problem developing in the pump or driveshaft...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Knightofwyte said:
It could be a bearing problem developing in the pump or driveshaft...
Which you would not want to escalate into a bigger problem! Broken shaft stubs can cause lots of damage to your pump. Its probably time to get out the wrenches and take a closer look at the pump.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Grinding or scraping noises are pretty different from a rattle or chatter. A rattle or chatter should still be investigated but probably won't lead to any damage.

Grinding or scraping means damage is occurring at that exact moment!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish i could let u hear it. ive had a couple local guys tell me tha if it were a bearing issue then it would do it all the time. and aside from these few times i hear the noise it really runs like new. they seemed to think its just the blade cavitating that im hearing but like i said, i never heard it in my other skis.
i guess ill pull it apart and see iy i can see anything.
thanks though!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Spin the driveshaft by hand if you can. It should spin smoothly, any grinding while doing that is a bearing or a clearance issue. It very well could be just cavitation, it's impossible to say for certain without hearing it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts