Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about how much it costs and when it should be done. My friend has an FX Cruiser (2007) and theres a pretty big gash/scrape on the center of the underside, enough so that you can clearly see it and it's flattened out some (you can feel the edges of the gash where its rough, looks like maybe it scraped a rock or something).

Anyway, how deep does a scrape have to be before it becomes a real problem, and how much does something like that cost to fix? I would say the scrape is about 1/2" wide and about 8" long. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If its scraped through the gelcoat it is probably not a good idea to leave the fiberglass exposed long term. Water tends to collect between the layers and cause more to flake off over time. That is an SMC (sheet molded compound) hull, so you can fix it with any epoxy based repair system if you want to do it yourself.

I'm guessing from your discription that it would cost between $500-1000 at a body shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had the same deal happen. i own a body/paint shop but did not want to re paint it. so what i did was pick up a can of boat gelcoat,you can buy it anywhere bennys/walmart/etc.
i then mixed in some paint until it was close in color and mixed it with the hardner,put it on with a paint stick and fingernail. you can notice it too bad and its protected.
when the seasons over ill wet sand it a buff it. it will get scratched up some more anyway...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts