Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Been a boater most of my life but I just bought my first PWC. A 2001 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 1200. I am a regular sailor and intend on (hopefully) towing the ski behind my boat for some fun and adventure. I also would like to leave the ski in the (salt) water overnight occasionally while at anchor. I am going to install a shutoff valve on the raw water cooling intake so as not to flood the engine while towing. QUESTION: If I turn that valve off, can I flush it at the end of the day with fresh water? My sailboat has 2 fresh water tanks totaling about 70 gallons.

Would that work? Since it won't be drawing any water via the regular intake?

Looking forward to all of your insights. Thanks in advance

Jess

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The shut off is a necessity if towing. the valve can be found under several names and locations. I got mine from home depots web site under rainbird 1/2" barbed valve. See pic.

To answer your question,
Yes, you could possibly. I dont think you'll be able to supply enough water volume though. Most boat water systems use an RV style 12v pump capable of only few gallons per minute.
The other issue. Being its still in the water. How will you control it while flushing. Its going to want to troll around as the pump will be in water. Possibly leading to boat or ski damage.
Just food for thought.

I would think it best to flush on land with salt away/salt terminator where you'll have control and get better water flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. That is exactly the valve I have on order. Yes, my fresh water pump is weak. However, there is nothing from stopping me putting in a booster pump. Or build a separate system that has its own pressure. While flushing, I would tie the ski down from the rear with both of the holes in the back to bridle then to a couple of cleats on the boat. It may drag the boat a bit, but won't to go far.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Sounds like you've thought this through and have plan then.

I would think a booster pump or separate system will almost be a must for it to work well enough to make it useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.