Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story goes, I met a guy who was selling this 750... he bought it for $3K years ago, and since then has put about $2K worth of work into it including a fresh taken to a shop rebuild of the motor after his son apparently got caught up in some weeds and killed it, plugged up the intake maybe? The shop he took it to rebuilt the motor, but couldn't get it started because the starter was pooched, so while he was looking to get a replacement starter the company closed down and basically handed him back the machine mostly put back together along with a couple coffee cans worth of nuts/bolts/parts, this was a couple years ago and it hasn't run since.

He wanted $2K for it and I told him not a chance since I can't see it running, and we settled on $800 and the way I figure the used parts if the 750 can't be fixed probably could fetch close to that much, and I'd have a nice little trailer to boot! Can't go wrong.

In one of the coffee cans was 3 old pistons (not really in that bad of shape to be honest) so I took out the plugs and looked in with a light and all three are nice shiney/new! So I'm thinking they really did go all out and rebuild this thing, while I was in there I dripped some 2 stroke oil into the each since they havn't run so long didn't want to be turning it over completely dry. They had pretty much everything put back into place except for the exhast and intake cover, the rest pretty much was in and bolted down which made me happy.

So I ordered a used starter off Ebay for $40 shipped, popped it in, pieced together all the exhast and intake and everything else I could figure out on my own. Did a compression test and each one had within a few ft^lbs of each other so that was good, primed the carbs with some nice rich fuel and off she went! Started great with some nice healthy 2 stroke smoke pouring out the ass. After a couple primes it was running on it's own pump and no more priming needed, but since I didn't have it in water I only let it run about a minute and shut it off and resisted the temptations to fire it up again since I don't want to overheat the motor or wreck any impellers or whatever

So this is where you all come in! I've been reading a few forums and these 750's seem to have a comon problem of cooking pistons... not what I'd like to see happen... so with a fresh brand new rebuilt motor how should a guy like me go about making sure everything is up to snuff and as good as it gets? I've read about putting in a bigger/better fuel pump... new fuel lines... blocking off the oil tank and running pre-mixed so I know it's good... possibly running carb 3 it's own pump/line to ensure it's getting fed properly... maybe rejetting carb 3...

There seems to be quite alot of tips/tricks to getting the most hours out of this type of machine and since this is as fresh as it gets I'd like to do it now before hitting the water! So I'm looking for help and advice from any and everyone on what I should do. I'm used to working on cars/trucks/bikes/sleds but 2 stroke PWCs... this is all new to me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts