Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to purchase my first ski & looking at GTX or GTX Limited. I'm really hoping to team up with a couple friends for some long distance touring, so fuel economy is very important to me. I understand the SC burns more juice... BUT how does it compare on consumption *at the same speed*. i.e., if I assume an average of 30-40mph, what kinda consumption can I expect from the GTX/GTX Limited? Also... any long range gas tank options for these?
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fuel Mileage - Extra Fuel options

BTK7 said:
About to purchase my first ski & looking at GTX or GTX Limited. I'm really hoping to team up with a couple friends for some long distance touring, so fuel economy is very important to me. I understand the SC burns more juice... BUT how does it compare on consumption *at the same speed*. i.e., if I assume an average of 30-40mph, what kinda consumption can I expect from the GTX/GTX Limited? Also... any long range gas tank options for these?
Thanks
I have a 2004 GTX SC and driving moderately, I can cruise and pull kids in a tube for a few hours before fuel runs low. I can't say how fuel mileage of a non SC compares, but it will be better. Will it be better enough to accomplish your goals, hard to say?

What are your buddies driving? If they are driving a 145HP ski, then you will be running out before they do - thereby limiting your riding time with them. The issue is really how far you can travel, leaving a safe amount of fuel to get back home including a 1/3 reserve. On any of these Ski's (GTX GTX SC), if you follow the 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve rule, you are talking about 1-1/2 hours max away from home before turning back (on the SC).

I'd suggest this solution: Get the model you want and carry some additional fuel when you go exploring. That is what I do. I am on a lake that connects to a river (30 minutes ride from my marina). Once on the river, I can explore about 45 minutes to an hour upstream until I get to a lock. By the time I get there, my fuel is down to less than 1/2, so I add 5 gallons that I carry in a portable tank and I arrive back home with at least 1/3 tank of fuel, even if I am "hot dogging" a bit on the way back. I really enjoy the exploring, but don't like the stress of wondering whether I'll run out of fuel. Remember that weather and lake conditions you have on the way out may not be the same on the way back. A rough lake with winds will consume more fuel than the flat lake you rode out on in the morning.

The extra fuel is carried on the rear platform in a plastic 5 gallon gas "can". It is secured downward with bungee cords to the rear tie down "eyes" and stabilized by additional bungee cords to the grab handle on the rear of the seat. I've been out on a rough lake and had no problem with the tank moving (I wasn't jumping waves though). I'm a bit paranoid about vapor build up in the tank when travelling on a hot day so I stop every now and again and open the vent cap to allow air to escape.

Another option is a 5 gallon can used to fuel race cars. Hunsaker sports in CA makes a good one. It has a high neck with a tall vent tube to keep everything away from the water. I've seen pictures of a pair of these held down by some PVC pipe (horizontal) with 90 degree ends (fitting over the necks) and then held down with bungee cords as mentioned above. You can see the 5 gallon tanks here:

Hunsaker Sports

So, as you can see there are plenty of options. Now when I tour, I can be out for 3+ hours and still arrive homw with 1/3 of a tank of fuel.

Hope this helps,

grover

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grover, sounds like you do a fair bit of cruising. Ever heard of anyone modifying the new Sea Doo "Wake" ballast tank (200lbs water capacity) with a fuel bladder? Might open a door to some really long trips. BTK7

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not that I know of - keep in mind this model is new for 2008. I don't know what to make of the new "wake" edition with the ballast tank. I think it is a great idea for towing on flat water, but I wouldn't want to be out on a rough lake with so much extra weight that I couldn't get rid of in a hurry (i.e. if it was filled with fuel). I think you would have difficlty filling it and even more diffculty transferring the fuel to the tank. In addition, you have the issue of water in the gas to consider. The tank gets coverd with water as you ride - if some gets in through the fittings, you would have an engine that didn't work.

This year I am trading my 2004 SC for a 2008 RXT X, which I am sure will get poorer fuel mileage than my current Sea Doo. I'm planning on ordering 2 of the Hunsaker 5 Gal jugs and mounting them on the back when I go for a long cruise. Of course, if my riding friends don't do the same, we'll be limited in how far we can travel (as a group).

I'm on an inland lake in western Canada and if I want to go through a lock, I can drive from my cottage to the downtown area of the city I live in. I'm not sure what I'd do when I got there though. :) I've thought about towing my Sea Doo to the coast this summer. My brother in law has a cabin on one of the Gulf Islands (off the coast of WA) and you can cruise accross the open ocean to Vancouver Island and explore - so I've been thinking about the extra fuel issue. In any event, 4 hours riding time is enough for me. If I wanted to travel longer, I think I'd be happier in a boat!

I don't know if I can find the pictures of the Hunsaker setup (mounted on a Sea Doo), but I'll check one of the other Sea doo sites to see if the post is still around. It was posted by a guy who rode from Florida to the northeastern USA with a friend a few years ago. The trip took several days (it was over 1,000 miles) and he never had aproblem with the fuel containers working loose.

grover

·
Registered
35 Posts
BTK,

I am still looking for the Hunsaker setup, but this is another option for long distance cruising:

Shutterfly | View Shared Pictures

The blue base with the double fuel cans is interesting. I liked the Hunsaker setup though. I'll keep looking for it.

Update: I found the thread on another forum. You may be interested to read: Sea-Doo.net - the official website for the Sea-Doo watercraft enthusiast (start reading at the bottom of the thread)

I've sent a pm to the guy who initially sent me the pictures. I'll post them if I get them from him.

grover

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grover, great info, and I like the other thread. I was thinking of a bladder system, often used in light aircraft, and noticed Walibu's mention of these in RIBs. It would certainly take care of the water issue. I've just googled RIB bladders and see a good range at http://www.atlinc.com/US/download.php?file=pdfs/Racing/28_ATLMarine.pdf. I like the look of their 25 USG version, which I think would fit beautifully in the Wake ballast tank... I'm keen to do some real exploring :).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've seen these as well, but how will you transfer the fuel? I can tell you that when I explored up the river last year, as I started running low (or actually, when there was room in the main tank), I found a dock on the shoreline and tied up to transfer gas from the extra tank to the main tank. Trying to transfer fuel on an open body of water using a spare gas jug would be difficult (at best). Also, how would you get a fuel bladder inside the wake ballast tank. Isn't the ballast tank a sealaed unit (seamed) with an intake and drain?

Update: I have located the pictures of the Hunsaker setup.

emeril2k1/Gulf Run Cans - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The 2 - 5 gallon jugs are simple to attach and according to emeril, stayed in place during a run up the east coast (ocean run). The PVC pipe is held in place by an adjustable threaded rod (available at Home Depot) and the assmebly is held down by adjustable nylon tie downs or bungee cords.

By my calculation, the main tank holds 55 litres (15 US gal) and adding 2 Hunsaker tanks would add another 10 gallons. I would think that you would be able to travel at least 120+ miles (round trip) and still have a reasonable reserve when you get home.

grover

·
Registered
34 Posts
Grover...

How many hours do you have on your Sea-Doo GTX SC'd?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Offline a couple days...
I've not seen other than a picture of the Wake ballast tank, but I get the impression that a relatively small cut-out in the top (not enough to impact the structural integrity) would allow access to the bladder system. And I'm planning a small electric fuel pump so that it functions more as a reserve. I'll lose a little volume on fittings and an imperfect fit, but I figure this will get me about 140 litres... and still leave a good, clear and flat back deck for bits and pieces.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BTK7,

Good luck. Let me know how it works out. Personally I wouldn't want to have 200lbs of weight on the back of the Sea Doo that I couldn't get rid off quickly. I've had a 200 man in the rear seat position and the craft wasn't that stable. In calm water it was OK (I guess it had to do with the guy moving around, which wouldn't be a problem with a tank).

As to the electric motor and fittings, too much "stuff" for me on the water. I'd also be concerned about having gas sitting on the rear deck in the hot sun. Perhaps you should check with the Coast Guard before you proceed. There may be regulations.

grover

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi , IM Buying a RXT seadoo jetski was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is on gas?
I posted here originally, before purchasing. I've had a GTX Ltd for 3 weeks now, and run up 24hrs & lots of km's ('bout 1,000km so far) in very differnt conditions (surf run, cruising 3up, glassy & big seas, blasting & sedate). Like the RXT its a 3 seater, 215hp SC, 60 litre fuel. I'm keeping pretty careful notes on economy, and the worst I've done so far is about 118km on a tank (3up, blasting), best is 150km (1up, avg 55km/hr), but averaging 125km/tank.

I'm a little disappointed but only because I was told it would be more, and I'm not at all regreting my purchase decision. Wife & kids love it. We really enjoy the comfortable ride and the crazy horsepower. Our soluion is just to know where the refuel options are on our different runs (I usually top up somewhere before heading home), or to carry a little extra.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts