Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2000 Yamaha XL1200LTD. Twice now, both my skis would idle fine, and run fine on the hose. But on the water, once you hit the throttle, they would not go above 10 mph and eventually die.

So I did what I could from draining the fuel tank (thought there was water in the tank), to change spark plugs, batteries, compression tests, and add Sea Foam. Nothing worked until I changed the little in-line fuel filter (sits just under the handle bars).

So when it was happening the second time, I replaced the fuel filter and everything was fine.

My question is.....could it really be this simple? And how can I prevent this in the future? There is no way I should be replacing filters every 20 hours? Is anyone using a filter other than the stock Yamaha ones?

And I am using medium grade gasoline on my stock oil injection skis. I was using low and high grade to test but nothing really seemed to matter. Also got gas from different stations to rule out that factor.

I appreciate any help. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Maybe you had alot of debris in the fuel tank and the filters caught it and got clogged. But yes 20 hours seems low for a filter to need replacement. I would only use the OEM Yamaha ones.

As far as I know these watercraft are designed to run just fine on regular (87 octane) gasoline, if they are stock that is. Running higher octane you're just wasting money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I second the 87 octane fuel rating. Be sure to change the fuel filter and spark plugs once per season. Also, I've noticed with my own gp760 that it will tend to bog like that if the engine is not warm. Just something for consideration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts