Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Fuel for FX SHO

8K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Lexingtom 
#1 ·
I was just wanting some opinions on what kind of fuel to run in a SHO. I know the book says regular is ok but I wanted to see what you guys thought?

#2 ·
In all of my jet ski's, I have always run the best fuel there is. Depending on where I was, it would range between 91 and 93 octane and I would stick with the better fuels like Shell gasoline, Texaco, Chevron, Union 76 and so on. If you do that, you can't go wrong. My 96' 750 SXI still runs very strong as well as my 99 Ultra 150. and that is all they have ever had in them.

#6 ·
Running 93 octane in your ski if its not programmed flashed for 93 will slow it down. The ecu is tuned for 87 octane dockside crappy gas that probably has water in it already. Its such a conservative tune that with a MoTec and a few tweaks you can unleash a lot of power by just changing fuel specs.

Using 93 is not only a waste of money but you lose performance if the tune or cylinder pressure doesn't mandate such use. The engine runs at such low temps, the cylinder head doesn't have the same hotspot issues that cars have running coolant, so the use of a high-test fuel is negated completely. It also requires much more cylinder pressure to extract the same thermal btu energy from higher octane fuel and with the low boost levels and conservative timing program, you will lose power with 91+ octane fuels.

I can back it up with 15+ years of dyno tuning cars, boats and aircraft. Do the research... 93 octane fuel is a hype that fuel retailers take to the bank.

#10 ·
Just bought a 2013 fx sho with 224 hours in good shape from a dealer and inspected. It’s running 6500 7000 Max at 60 max mph. It seems like it has more but never does and I’m running it on 93 octane for the first 2 rides. You think when the gas is up and I refill the tank with 87 of the tuned suggestion it’ll get those numbers up to what the normal numbers of other peoples comments are getting

#11 ·
Just putting it out there that IMO, octane is significantly less important than using ethanol-free fuel. I never put ethanol into my small engines (less than auto) and I swear by year-over-year rated performance and engine longevity. I am not a believer in higher octane resulting in a MEANINGFUL performance difference. I.e., you can actually experience the difference and it’s significant. I’m with the snake oil comment above. But I wouldn’t put ethanol gas in my 2 strokes for all the rice in China.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.