Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few threads about fuel primers. Is it a decent and safe upgrade? My xl800 is really hard to start, even after only sitting a short time between rides. Cold starts are almost impossible without a shot of start fluid.

Is this something that will help?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Did the carbs get rebuilt on this? I can't remember.

In reality you already have a primer on the 800. It's the excellerator pump on the carbs. Try turning choke on full. Pumping the throttle several times then crank. As you crank pump the throttle again. See if that works for you.

If the carbs are correct it should start with just the choke and a pump of throttle.
Mine takes a bit of cranking when cold, first time of the day. After that I give it a bit of choke and it fires right up.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would say a carb rebuild is needed. This should help with the starting and with overall performance. In my experience about 3 to 5 years is about the limit on them.

Be sure to get only true mikuni kits. The accelerator pump.
SBT carries the kit and pump.
You'll have to remove a needle and seat to get size off it. If original or replaced as such they should be 2.1mm. It appears from what I'm finding the 2.1 may have been deleted.
If they are 2.1's. Watcon.com will be the place to call. If you step up to 2.3mm you'll have to change pop off pressure and they should be able to help you figure it out. This just requires the right spring combination to get correct fuel flow to match the 2.1

Also be sure when you pull the carbs to document the high and low adjustment screw settings for each carb. turning the screws in till they lightly seat counting how many turns. This is what you will set them back to after cleaning. This is a must to have it run as it did Pryor to disassembly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carb teardown scares the bejesus out of me! Kind of like my fishing reels...every time I tear one down to clean, I put it back together and have extra parts and it never works quite right again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have read a few threads about fuel primers. Is it a decent and safe upgrade? My xl800 is really hard to start, even after only sitting a short time between rides. Cold starts are almost impossible without a shot of start fluid.

Is this something that will help?
used it in a few race machines (Superjet) , loved it. Starts immediately, but they only last a few years because of the ethanol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts