Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out the overheating problem was part of larger problem. There is a holw in the engine. THe place I took it to says it was neglect, but that thing was cleaned everytime. Has anyone heard of htis happenind after only 53 hours? I realize the unit is 8 years old, but are yamaha products really built like crap!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Where is the hole? Are we talking inside the engine, like through one of the cooling vents, or through to the outside? Either way, I'd say it rare...........I've never heard of a "hole", unless they are talking about a cracked cylinder or something like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yamaha Piece of Sh !!

Yes , it is a hole through the 1st cylcinder. Apparently the fresh water flush is not srtong enough to get to that cylcinder, so the salt actually formed a pack in the cylinder head and blew it out. I called yamaha to let them know it was a design flaw and they were as rude as could be. I will never get another yamaha again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yes , it is a hole through the 1st cylcinder. Apparently the fresh water flush is not srtong enough to get to that cylcinder, so the salt actually formed a pack in the cylinder head and blew it out. I called yamaha to let them know it was a design flaw and they were as rude as could be. I will never get another yamaha again.
OK....hole in cylinder from corrosion not so uncommon. With 54 hours you would think that couldn't happen, but you would have been better off if you had put 540 hours on it over 8 years, then you probably would never have had a problem. It is much worse for just about any type of watercraft engine to sit for long periods of time between running it, especially if you use it in salt water. I ask a boat mechanic what is the best way to avoid repair problems, and he told me to run the hell out of it. He said the guys that let the motors sit are the ones that always need repairs.

Same problem could happen to any ski. The FX has been around for a while, and if there were some type of design flaw, there would be lots of posts about it, but I doubt that you could find even 1 other person with a similar experience on that model of ski. There is always the possibility for a lemon now and then, but you would have thought a major problem would have shown itself sooner than the 8th year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know your thread is older but i had a problem with my 2003 FX140 engine and need some parts , what did you do with your old engine . My block cracked , yamaha had never seen iot and i need toi replace parts of the long block. Thanks Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts