Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a new FX Cruiser in a few weeks. Some questions:

1. I will buy from a mainline powersports dealer--is the price negotiable the way a new car would be?

2. Does Yamaha offer extended warranties on new skis? Normally these are ripoffs on consumer items, but I have found in the case of Land Rovers, they tend to be cost-effective.

3. I intend to moor the ski on a pwc float attached to a dock in LI Sound salt water). Is there a recommended or preferred pwc float manufacturer for the FX? Merco Marine makes one that looks pretty good and of course there is Carolinafloats and others.

Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1. Very little wiggle room on Yamaha pricing this time of year. Best deals come at the end of the season (Sept. Oct.) when dealers are getting rid of last years inventory, or during the winter. This time of year don't expect to see much bargaining. But, I would recommend shopping all the local dealerships, and look for any 2010 left over skis for the best deals.

2. Yes. In years past there has typically been an offer for either an extended warranty or a certain amount of $$$ in accessories. This year they are offering $700 in accessories, but no extended warranty deals. You can still buy one, but they are expensive, and personally I would not get one unless it was offered as a free incentive to buy. Yamaha skis are extremely reliable, so I doubt you will ever see a benefit.

3. It is mandatory to do a fresh water flush after each ride in salt water, if you expect to ride the ski for more than one season. Leaving salt water in the skis cooling system even overnight could do significant damage.

I'd try to find a dock that will get the pump out of the salt water. Salt water causes the wear ring to swell and will eventually damage the impeller. The docks with rollers are much easier to get the skis on and off. My Marina has EZ Docks, and the ones with multiple rollers are much easier to use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts