Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a lead on "affordable" insurance for the 160HP Yamahas. I bought 2 of them in 2004, and I can only find one company who will take them because of the horsepower. Looking to not pay through the nose this year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does anyone have a lead on "affordable" insurance for the 160HP Yamahas. I bought 2 of them in 2004, and I can only find one company who will take them because of the horsepower. Looking to not pay through the nose this year.
if you bought them outright and are not making payments why would you get insurance at all? is it mandatory in your state?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes! In New Jersey everything is mandatory. Highest cost of auto and powersport insurance in the nation. :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh yes! In New Jersey everything is mandatory. Highest cost of auto and powersport insurance in the nation. :(
thats suprising,,, eveywhere ive been you dont need insurance unless you have skis that arent completely paid for...

you might wanna double check to see if insurance is mandatory if you own your boat and hold title... i really dont think it would be, thats retarted...

·
Registered
7 Posts
It makes no difference at all even if you have your ski paid for. If you hit another skiier you could be held liable for the damage and they could sue you. You could go years without a mishap and then again you could have an accident tomorrow! It's up to you how you want to chance it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It makes no difference at all even if you have your ski paid for. If you hit another skiier you could be held liable for the damage and they could sue you. You could go years without a mishap and then again you could have an accident tomorrow! It's up to you how you want to chance it.
??? it makes all the difference in the world... if you get your ski from a dealer and make payments its REQUIRED to have insurance... if you buy straight up its NOT REQUIRED...

IMHO insurance for skis is dumb.... if your afraid your gonna hit another person,learn how to operate your PWC.. if your afraid your gonna get hit by another person, learn your surroundings and how to handle your PWC...

all im saying is insurance IS mandatory unless you hold title to your boat!

·
Registered
7 Posts
??? it makes all the difference in the world... if you get your ski from a dealer and make payments its REQUIRED to have insurance... if you buy straight up its NOT REQUIRED...

IMHO insurance for skis is dumb.... if your afraid your gonna hit another person,learn how to operate your PWC.. if your afraid your gonna get hit by another person, learn your surroundings and how to handle your PWC...

all im saying is insurance IS mandatory unless you hold title to your boat!

You sound very naive. Even *learning* your surroundings or knowing how to operate your craft does not eliminate you all together from having something happen out of your blind eye.
What I was saying about it not making a difference was a reflecion of whether you have a ski paid or not, there are other things at risk other than whether your ski is paid for or not. In considering whether to buy insurance, there are people who never think they would get in an accident but when you're on the water, there are many more blind spots and variables that you have to consider. Hopefully, you never have an accident.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You sound very naive. Even *learning* your surroundings or knowing how to operate your craft does not eliminate you all together from having something happen out of your blind eye.
What I was saying about it not making a difference was a reflecion of whether you have a ski paid or not, there are other things at risk other than whether your ski is paid for or not. In considering whether to buy insurance, there are people who never think they would get in an accident but when you're on the water, there are many more blind spots and variables that you have to consider. Hopefully, you never have an accident.
i understand theres more at risk than the ski thats not paid for, thats not what im saying.. i get that there will be hospital bills, pain and suffering, repairs to skis, lawsuits...etc etc... im just stating the LAW... if people feel more comfortable with insurance by all means get it, im just trying to help the people who dont know its not mandatory, and dont want it...

im not naive, just confident in myself and my skis,,, i ride every weekend on a very large, busy lake, and have never had problems with another boater.. several times it could have been bad but thats where the experience takes over...

besides no insurance company will insure my ski anyway, even if i wanted it.

are you sea-doocer from GH?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude-look at a Traveller's umbrella policy. I would say if the liability is that high in NJ, then either sell your skis or use them in another state...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try progressive.com. I live in PA and ride in PA and NJ. I have (2) fx HOs. Had no problem getting insurance. In fact, I got it cheaper than my friend who introduced me to the sport. I then sent another friend to them. He just bought the 2008, 255 hp sea-doo. He was very happy with his premium.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You definitely should have some insurance. Not just because you hit someone, but what if you accidentally dump your ski on the highway, or it gets stolen? I hear a lot of skis get stolen. I've looked at Progressive and Geico---Progressive was less expensive (in FL). Not sure who else has good, affordable insurance for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts