Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have confirmed that my charging system is putting out nothing. Checked all fuses they are all good. Ski runs great on the water, until the battery gets low and I start to lose display etc.

Anyone have info on what I need to check to determine and fix this problem?

Many thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have confirmed that my charging system is putting out nothing. Checked all fuses they are all good. Ski runs great on the water, until the battery gets low and I start to lose display etc.

Anyone have info on what I need to check to determine and fix this problem?

Many thanks,
Keith
Service manual Trouble Analysis Section says to check the Lighting Coil, and Rectifier/Regulator (in addition to the fuses, battery leads, and battery) if you are having issues with poor battery charging. It looks fairly simple to check these two points with a meter if you plan to try it yourself, but you may need a special yamaha test harness in addition to the meter. It would probably also show up on the diagnostic software test that you could have done at a dealership. You would at least need a service manual to find these two components, and how to check them. There are cheap copies of the service manual out there if you need one.

I would look for loose/corroded connections as a simple first step. Try plugging and unplugging components along the charging pathway and hitting them with a dielectric anti-corrosion spray (like CrossionX). It may be as simple as something coming loose. I remember seeing a recall for the 2004 FX because of a loose harness problem, but I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue.

Disclaimer: I'm a newbie, so take my advice with a big grain of salt. I'm just looking at the trouble shooting guide in the service manual, and I may be missing something else that is more obvious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts