Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally going to purchase a 2-3 year old Yamaha VX Cruiser after riding solo on a friend's. However I am a big guy (265) and for what I'm wanting to do; ride with wife while pulling teenager on ski or tube, I have been told I need the 1800 cc FX model. My question I thought all VX's were 1000 cc and all FX's were 1800. Now I hear some FX's are not 1800 and that's why they are cheaper for the same year model. I am sooo confused my small mind is spinning over all these models. Thanks for any help you experienced riders can provide...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I was originally going to purchase a 2-3 year old Yamaha VX Cruiser after riding solo on a friend's. However I am a big guy (265) and for what I'm wanting to do; ride with wife while pulling teenager on ski or tube, I have been told I need the 1800 cc FX model. My question I thought all VX's were 1000 cc and all FX's were 1800. Now I hear some FX's are not 1800 and that's why they are cheaper for the same year model. I am sooo confused my small mind is spinning over all these models. Thanks for any help you experienced riders can provide...
The 2005-2008 regular FX's came with the 998cc (140 HP) engine. I believe that the 2005-2008 FX's HOs (high output) have the 1052 cc engines (160 HP), with the exception of the 2008 FX SHO, which sports the first introduction of the 1812cc (180 HP) engine. The 2009-2010 FX's all have the 1812cc engine with the SHO models adding a supercharger (Yamaha dropped the regular FX version after 2008 and all the later FXs have the same engine = 1812cc).

I have a 2008 FX HO Cruiser (160 HP). I'm about 210 lbs., and I have hit 63 mph on it on a smooth surface. Accelleratoin is very good and I can pull a towable with 2 large teens or adults with no problem. I have also used it with my wife on back pulling my teenage daughter on a towable with no problem. I haven't tried pulling a wakeboard or skier yet. I'd say you would want to look for 2005-2008 FX HO or 2008- later SHO, or any of the newer 2009 or later FXs. There are some pretty good deals on left over 2008-2009 FX HOs and SHOs right now if you keep you eyes open at various dealers. I've also seen some good prices on lightly used machines lately on EBay, etc.. You will not be happy with a VX at your size with towing or carrying passengers (I speak from experience). My brother has a 2006 VX and it is significantly harder to tow with or carry passengers compared to his or my FX HO. Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many Thanks

Ernest T thank you for your detailed reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to help me!!! Thanks to your reply I will definitely be getting one of the 160 HP FX's.. Thank you again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ernest T thank you for your detailed reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to help me!!! Thanks to your reply I will definitely be getting one of the 160 HP FX's.. Thank you again.
Here is a summary that may be easier to understand:
2005-2008 FX = 998cc (140 HP)
2005-2008 FX HO = 1052cc (160 HP)
2009-2010 FX = 1812cc (Estimated HP at 180-200, since Yamaha doesn't say for this engine)
2008-2010 SHO = supercharged 1812cc (200 + HP???, I've seen 211 HP listed, but don't know if this is accurate)

I should have also mentioned that the VX series 2005-present all run with the same 1052cc engine, but even though it is the same size (in cc) as the engine found on many earlier FX models it is not the same beast and has a different compression ratio and HP rating (confusing). To make things even more confusing Yamaha uses the same name for at least 3 different engines = MR-1. Anyhow the VX 1052cc engine generates around 110 HP versus 160 HP on the 1052cc engine that is on the FX HO. The VX models are also a little smaller and lighter than the FX series. If you ride the FX side by side with the VX, the VX tends to bounce through waves where the FX tends to plow through. Like a sports car (VX) compared to a family sedan (FX). You also get wetter on the VX.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The older MR-1 engine is based off of the old 02-03 YZFR-1 motor, which was a good motor. I believe these models had many recalls though (probably due to turning it into a marine application). The VX is so detuned the 1052cc is misleading. Stick with a new FXHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts