Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My teenage kids ran over a tow rope breaking the intake grate on one of our FX140s. The kids removed the broken grate and when installing the new on they snapped off one of the two 6mm screws that secure the grate to the intake duct. Should have done this myself! So now to try and fix it I'd planned to remove the intake duct and drill out or replace it if I could not remove the broken screw. Well not knowing any better in trying to remove the intake duct at least 2 of the screws securing the intake duct to the hull are spinning and not backing out. Guess I should have tried a little heat on the screws first in hindsight.
Questions are:

Do I need to remove the ride plate before the intake duct or will the duct it come off with the ride plate still on?

I have new factory well nuts for the intake duct. Any tips on replacing the loose nuts and what type of epoxy is best to glue them back in? Any better ideas on replacing the duct well nuts? Should I replace just the loose ones or all 4 ?

Thank you for any input and tips...

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
First, check and see if you can spin the broken bolt with a small screwdriver or something else sharp that will catch. That hole should be deeper than the bolt is long, so what's left should not be under tension, providing it wasn't cross threaded.
I would pull the ride plate if nothing else to get it out of the way, but it doesn't appear it has to come out to remove the intake. Be careful with the heat so you don't damage the hull.
I use a green, 2 part 3M epoxy (Scotch-Weld 1838 B/A green) for anything that needs to be secure on my ski's, even harness pads. Very hard and strong stuff when it's dry, just don't let it get in the nuts. Maybe put a piece of tap over the top if the hole goes all the way through. Your also going to need a way to secure the nuts so they don't drop at all, for 24 hours while it cures.

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
I've heard a heat gun works well for heating the bolts. Not really familiar with your ski, but I have seen billet alum. brackets that replace the ride plate nuts. Seems like a good idea to look into. Are the grate nuts, and intake nuts accessible from inside the hull ? If they are, might think about fabbing up a similar bracket for them. They could be epoxied to the hull so they wouldn't move if the bolts are removed.
I think it was these guys that were making them. Might contact them.
http://www.islandracing.com/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. The grate and ride plate nuts are accessible. I was trying to avoid taking the ride plate off as I'm now gun shy about spinning those nuts as well. May try just the duct only first and see if it will drop down with ride plate still on the ski. I will look for the 3m epoxy you recommend. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts