Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

I have a FX HO160 2004 and i took it out yesterday arrived at the slip and fired it up for about 10seconds to make sure it started then put it in the water. After about 10mins of helping my friend get his ready and launch i jumped on and went to start the engine and nothing, a small click and that was it.

I had made the mistake of over filling the oil so once i got home remover the oil and filter and drained the engine of oil removed the plugs and tried to flick it over and again just a poor attempt from the starter motor.

any ideas?
maybe the starter? has it somehow seized the engine? puzzling the heck out of me!

I look forward to you solutions and ideas!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery, or loose battery connection. That is what I'd check 1st........pull a working battery from a vehicle and try that (don't jump start it). Overfilling the oil will not cause the engine to seize, but may foul the spark plugs, but the engine should still turn over.

Also be sure you didn't suck up some debris near the dock that locked up your impeller.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will try that - i had kind of ruled out the battery as its brand new and the charger said fully charged.
the display lights up fine and says 12.5v

nothing in the impeller had the grate off (sheared a bolt :-( ) and couldn't see or feel anything. It didn't run in the water at all.

as i say will try a battery tomorrow and see what happens many thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Is the engine turning over, but not starting? If so, most likely problem is fouled spark plugs..............replace and try again.

Engine not turning over: Be sure you do not have "lock" mode selected...........unlock ski. Be sure laynard is pulling the kill switch all the way up (some aftermarket lanyards will not work on Yamahas). Check fuses. Check electrical connections to battery, starter, and E-box..........loose, corroded.......tighten all connections. Other possible problems: bad starter relay, bad starter. First step would be replace starter relay. Replacing starter is going to be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a little update:

new starer relay and its still not working - it turns over on the starter motor if you put it straight on the battery but wont turn over if all is connected up properly - am starting to get frustrated now!
Really dont want to let it beat me but might have to take it into the shop!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats my thought - i think it might be a problem with the security system as it dosnt work but the ski has always been unlocked in high-power mode so haven't got round to sorting it out - the green security light used to come on when you started it but dosnt anymore which i have only just noticed - maybe some how it has become locked?
would the starter relay click in lock mode?
very very odd - its going in to have the computer read on monday and the fob reprogrammed or replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just found out about getting the display to show error codes without a computer and it is saying normal! - must be the security system?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea it sounds like the ski is locked (no security light = lock mode). Does it make any beeps? One beep would indicate locked. But, on my ski I do not hear the starter relay when the ski is locked.

Unfortunately a bad ECU could cause the same, and you would not see any error codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no beeps - its got be wither the ecu or the security system.
should have some sort of idea on monday once they have hooked it up to a computer and run some tests - will keep you posted, thank you again for all your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My FZR just did much the same; turned out to be the fuse. It keeps blowing. Service says to remove seats, mop out all condensation and allow to dry overnight real well. Condensation builds up inside electrical panel and shorts something...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ernest, any reason you said not to jump start a jet ski like with a car?
I've been told that jumping the system from a running vehicle (like most people do when jumping 2 cars), could possibly damage the electrical system on the ski. I've always been told by my Yamaha mechanic friend that it is better to pull the battery out of the vehicle to start the ski. He told me why, but I can't remember all the technical mumbo jumbo right now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only reason I ask is I had my 2002 FX140 not start once I could tell it was the battery, so tried to jump start it with a car parked close to shore, it was a nightmare trying to do this, but it was getting dark and I needed to get my ski back to the trailer. Anyway jump starting it did not seem to help and I found out it was a loose battery connection while I was do this, but I did have the car hooked to the ski and tried to jump start it.
Was just curious because you would think that it would not matter, since its the same voltage, but I am no expert at all, so wont do that again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea, I don't understand the cause of the problem (seems like some type of electrical pulse). Yamaha doesn't actually say not to jump from a vehicle in the manual, but when they describe the procedure, they talk about jumping from an isolated battery, and show a disconnected battery in their photos.

The guy I know (works at the local Yamaha place), told me that he has actually seen ECUs fried from people jumping their skis from a car. He is a pretty sharp guy, so I'm taking his word.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so the problem has been solved and we are now back up and running!

what had happened was the starter solenoid decided to have a moment on the beach and not work so when i then started working on it and unpluging cables to try different things the ecu thought it was being tampered with and locked itself.

as my fob was broken i couldnt then unlock it and so a new fob and bobs your uncle we are now working! - a very very simple issue that took some problem solving!

thank you for all your help!

the jumpstart thing is the same with anything especially new cars as the ecus dont like the spike of the out o sync power coming in from the other car.
just leave all your lights heaters and screen heaters on and it will absorb the spike and not damage the ecu - in therory!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yamaha fx 160 2006 want start over

helo
I need help please
my pwc turn over fine but won't start.
the problem start from release throttel cable and after fixing it there was very hard to start the engine and now i have a starter but the engine dont start . i was unpluged the some of conectors controler conector clean them and now the deshbord display is blocked and not light at all .before i will start to check the starting system
i read in this site some solushion but didnt anderstand the solution at all http://www.pwcforum.com/yamaha-jetsk...ed-help-2.html
can some one help me
thanks for any replay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts