Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery, or loose battery connection. That is what I'd check 1st........pull a working battery from a vehicle and try that (don't jump start it). Overfilling the oil will not cause the engine to seize, but may foul the spark plugs, but the engine should still turn over.

Also be sure you didn't suck up some debris near the dock that locked up your impeller.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Is the engine turning over, but not starting? If so, most likely problem is fouled spark plugs..............replace and try again.

Engine not turning over: Be sure you do not have "lock" mode selected...........unlock ski. Be sure laynard is pulling the kill switch all the way up (some aftermarket lanyards will not work on Yamahas). Check fuses. Check electrical connections to battery, starter, and E-box..........loose, corroded.......tighten all connections. Other possible problems: bad starter relay, bad starter. First step would be replace starter relay. Replacing starter is going to be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Now it is starting to sound like a problem with the ECU. Could get expensive.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea it sounds like the ski is locked (no security light = lock mode). Does it make any beeps? One beep would indicate locked. But, on my ski I do not hear the starter relay when the ski is locked.

Unfortunately a bad ECU could cause the same, and you would not see any error codes.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ernest, any reason you said not to jump start a jet ski like with a car?
I've been told that jumping the system from a running vehicle (like most people do when jumping 2 cars), could possibly damage the electrical system on the ski. I've always been told by my Yamaha mechanic friend that it is better to pull the battery out of the vehicle to start the ski. He told me why, but I can't remember all the technical mumbo jumbo right now.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea, I don't understand the cause of the problem (seems like some type of electrical pulse). Yamaha doesn't actually say not to jump from a vehicle in the manual, but when they describe the procedure, they talk about jumping from an isolated battery, and show a disconnected battery in their photos.

The guy I know (works at the local Yamaha place), told me that he has actually seen ECUs fried from people jumping their skis from a car. He is a pretty sharp guy, so I'm taking his word.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts