Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1998 STX1100. I just bought it and have only ridden it once.

The entire gas gauge part of the LCD screen (the left hand side) just blinks, and the red warning light above is blinking too. I am told that the machine thinks it is out of gas, but this happened after I filled it. I am also concerned because the same light is supposed to warn me of overheating. So now, if it is merely a defective gas-level sending unit, how am I supposed to know if the engine is overheating? (The right side of the LCD screen appears to be working and shows a correct amount of oil.)

Do these STX 1100 units tend to have bad gas-level sensors?

DH

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue with my 1998 ski. I drained the old gas and cleaned the tank and sending unit and the issue went away. I talked to my local dealer and the service manager said that they have seen a lot of problems with the fuel gauges since the switch to ethanol gas. He said that ethanol causes the gas to have more moisture in it which effects the sending unit. Not sure if it is a fact but it seems to make sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
getting at the sending unit

I hope your tank clean-out etc is within my limited mechanical abilities.

Ethanol? Isn't that a kind of alcohol? I am running gasoline.

I might mention too that I towed my STX1100 (on its nice trailer) slowly down a bumpy road, after filling it with gas. I wonder whether the sending unit is poorly secured within the tank and took a beating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ethanol is the additive that is now use in gasoline in the USA. It has replaced MTBE that where used in the past. Removing and cleaning the the tank is not diffcult. Do not use gasoline to clean the tank as this is very dangerous. I washed my tank and sender with simple green liquid detergent, then dryed it out and reinstalled. So far it is woking good. This long weekend will be the true test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts