Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently looking to purchase a PWC and are trying to gather information to make the best decision about which machine to purchase. We had at first picked the Yamaha FX Cruiser HO, but the cost is high, around 12,500 with trailer. The dealer talked about their Honda F-12 could run as much as 2K less for about the same machine. It can be confusing trying to get the best information so that we can spend our money wisely, especially in this economy. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
We are currently looking to purchase a PWC and are trying to gather information to make the best decision about which machine to purchase. We had at first picked the Yamaha FX Cruiser HO, but the cost is high, around 12,500 with trailer. The dealer talked about their Honda F-12 could run as much as 2K less for about the same machine. It can be confusing trying to get the best information so that we can spend our money wisely, especially in this economy. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
Kawasaki and then Yamaha are the 2 best PWC's that there are. They have been around the longest, have the best technology, and are the most reliable. I have been in this sport since the mid 80's and those are the only 2 brands I will ever own. My 96' Kawasaki 750 SXI is a stand up with probably around 125-150 hours on it with probably at least 90% of those hours being in the ocean and salt water and I am yet to have any problems with any of my jet ski's.

Honda makes good bikes and decent ATV's but they have been doing so since the inception of those sports. With PWC's, Honda has only been making those less than 10 years I believe. Your better off getting a Yamaha or a Kawasaki even if it is a little more money. If money is a huge issue with you, then see if they have any 08' left overs that rae new to make up that 2k difference.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We are selling leftover 06 Honda F-12x PWCs for $6599 and have all warranty left. In fact, they are still crated. We like them very much and have had them for years. I drive a Honda motorcycle and trust the brand. Only 165 horsepower though, turbo. Sea-Doo, Kawa and Yamaha all have 250 plus horsepower so go with what you'll be comfortable with. Most dealers will let you test run them first, we do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another Question

Thanks for the quick reply on the gathering information post. We are also trying to decide if the cruiser seats are worth the money. Most have told us it depends how you ride. We are beginner riders in our 40s and feel that the cruiser seats would help give back support when we go on extended rides. If anyone has information on the effectiveness of these seats please let us know. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
It's a waste of money in my opinion. The other seats are just as comfortable on long ride but allow you to be much more aggressive when you want to be. With the little extra back support things that are a part of the seat, you can buy something similar for long cruises for a lot less cheaper but I really don't even think you will ever need that. In fact, I have never really even hear of anyone buying a jet ski for a leisure cruise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HO vs. SHO

Hi there again,
It seems that the dealer that we have been trying to nail down on a price. no longer has the Yamaha HO that we want. They are offering an SHO at the same price (?) I can't believe how they can do that, but who am I to argue. We would like input from any who have ridden on an HO or SHO to respond as to the benefit of either. I understand that the SHO drinks fuel, but the Yamaha web site states that it has low fuel consumption. We want to make sure that we are not buying more machine than we need or want.
Please Advise!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kawasaki and then Yamaha are the 2 best PWC's that there are. They have been around the longest, have the best technology, and are the most reliable.
You're kidding,right?!
I agree Yamaha makes reliable machines but I don't think all Kawasakis are more reliable than Hondas. Especially if we're talking about 4 strokes. Honda & Yamaha were the first ones out with this technology in 2002. Honda is the world leader in small engines, what makes you think that their pwc engine technology is anything but the best? I have an '05 Honda and have never had a problem with it. We have owned products from Bombardier (Sea-Doo), Yamaha, Arctic Cat & Polaris, & have friends with those products & Kawasaki as well, and let me tell you, nobody comes close to being as reliable as the Honda.

In fact, I have never really even hear of anyone buying a jet ski for a leisure cruise.
You're kidding again,right?
You've never heard of people buying a 3 seat pwc to cruise with? What do you think they're made for? They have large gas tanks & storage areas, water bottle holders, cruise control, cruiser seats, GPS, adjustable steering, no-wake mode, and even brakes(soon). I think you need to get into the 21st century.

BTW: If you check on ebay, you can find a new leftover Honda with warranty for about $6000.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Honda's may be a little more reliable than the others but Kawasaki and Yamaha have the lowest percentage of break downs. Sea Doo has the worst and Tigershark and Polaris are not too far behind them. I do agree that Honda makes very reliable ATV's and bikes and they probably do with the PWC's as well but I trust the Kawasaki and Yamaha's over them simply because they have been building PWC's a lot longer. Honda broke onto the seen some time after 2000, Kawasaki in the mid 70's and Yamaha in the early 80's. That's 20 plus years of research and development that those 2 have over Honda in this one area. Now with that being said, if I had to go with a 3rd model, Honda would be that choice because they have the next best reliability and longevity rate.

With the comment about people leisure cruising on their watercraft, I was referring to people who buy them for that purpose only. I don't know of to many people that do that when they can buy a boat instead for the same price with many more features. I'm not saying nobody has done that but it is rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts