Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant decide what PWC I want. I am stuck between these options:

Honda AquaTrax F-12X
Yamaha WaveRunner FX H.O.
Sea-Doo RXT
Kawasaki JetSki Ultra 250X

I really didn't want an Ultra but now I like them. I realize that the Yamaha is the slowest but I'm keeping fuel economy in consideration. All the local dealers are trying to get rid of all of the 07's and I can each one pretty cheap. I want something fast, economical, and reliable. The reason I like the Yamaha is because it has alot of features on it that others don't. Tilt steering, trim system, stuff like that and nice styling. Everyone has a Sea-Doo and I kinda wanted something different. The AquaTrax doesn't have the dramatic styling and really doesn't make a statement like the others. The Kawasaki looks uncomfortable on long rides. I am scared to get a Sea-Doo because I heard they break down alot. I just don't know which one to get.

My friend that I will be riding with, has a RXT and I want something that will keep up with it. I don't want to get left behind!!

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?!

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK First let me make a suggestion and rule out the Honda. Its about 7 mph slower than the RXT.The FX HO is great ski and hits a top of 61ish. RXT is about 5 mph faster, but the yamaha has great reliablity and with a couple bolton mods you can be right with the RXT. You already said you didnt want the RXT and yeah, I wouldn't get it due the the ceramic washers and supercharger problems. And the Ultra 250 is about same top speed as the RXT and great in the rough, but will drain your wallet in gas. It also has a some problems with its seat do to it not being secured. I would go with the yamaha HO for reliability and its not slow. Let me suggest that you get a rideplate for it, custom air intake, intake grate, new impeller. With those simple mods you can easily attain speeds of 65 mph+

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
Finally someone answered me on here. (lol) I thought I was gonna go insane over this decision. I really like the Yamaha too. What if I get the Turbo Honda? Is it still slow? I don't know why, but I like the Honda. So if it were between the Honda and the Yamaha, you would choose the Yamaha? How much will the aftermarket parts cost for the WaveRunner?

Thank you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
O ok I thought u were going for the honda turbo....the honda without turbo is like 53-54 mph...turbo is still 7 mph slower than rxt...so even w/ (which is wut i meant) is still alot slower. But Some aftermark mods I would say are rideplate, intake grate, air intake, new impeller/repitch. Simple stuff Like that can get you some great speed. Say the yami HO goes 61mph maybe 62 if its glass...those mods will get you lets say to 65 mph, right there with the RXT. I will go find out how much some mods are for ya and get ya a price

edit: Did some research about those mods for ya on islandracing.net and you can get a Stage 1 kit for $559.95. With this includes R&D Rideplate, R&D Aquavein intake grate, Solas Dynafly Impeller 14/20, and R&D or Riva pump seal Kit. These mods are said to give a total of 4-5 mph which, like I said will get you to 65+ area which is just where RXP is. So for an extra 600 bucks you get all that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whao.
$600!!!

I could just wait and pay like 1.5k more and get a SHO. What about acceleration. Will the RXT leave me behind if I'm on the Yamaha?

Thanks.
You've been a HUGE help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well you said you were looking at used skis so what was the price on this HO...because of 1.5k less than a NEW sho then its worth the spend. What year is the HO, how many hours, did he get it serviced, any hull damage. Give me some more info on the ski and ill help you make a better educated decision.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, none of the ski's are used. They are all brand new. Just the remaining 07's. Except the Yamaha which was an 08. I keep coming back to the Honda because I think it was a good deal. It was a 06 that they had left over. It is an 06 F-12X. I'm just scared because the Yamaha guy told me that sometimes the rubber on the inside can dry out and crack and send it to the lake bottom. Which would not be good. But, the Yamaha is more expensive and has less cc but has the same amount of hp. But it has trim, cupholders, a nice dash, and it looks alot more upscale. But the Honda comes with a trailer, one pfd, 1 year of warranty for free, anchor, cover, and tax already added for $9,000. It just seems like a better deal. But if I am investing in something I'm gonna keep a long time, then I want something I truly like. The Honda just doesn't look as nice, and plus, knowing my luck, as soon as I get it Honda will come back and smack everyone in the face with a PWC that just looks kick ass. and I'll be stuck with the old one. Is there alot of aftermarket for the Honda?

THANKS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok honestly, my unbiased decision would be go with the yamaha. I would say the Yamaha HO and Honda are about the same speeds..but u cant mod the honda as much as yamaha and the yamis are MUCH more reliable. I would say go with the yamaha. Sounds like you like the $$$$ deal on the Honda, but your getting an 06. Go with the 07 HO and u wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I looked at the H.O. again on the website. BTW which is far better than Honda or Sea-Doo. Kawasaki's is pretty good too. I think I'm going to go with the Yamaha. I have said that so many times though. (lol) I'm going to take a weekend off to go test drive both the Yamaha and the Honda. I'm gonna ask the dealer if I can invite the Honda guy along to do a side-by-side test drive. The Honda is a good deal, but it is an 06. So, it just looks like a good deal. And another thing, there is a reason why THEY STILL HAVE 06'S IN STOCK. One last problem. Honda Dealership = 35 miles away. Yamaha Dealership = 95 miles away. We have a Yamaha dealership locally but they don't carry the WaveRunner or service them. One more newbie question: When I travel that far to get it serviced, will it hurt it towing it all that way? The road isn't all that smooth. I don't want it to fall apart from towing too much.

Thanks,
you have been more help than you know!

·
Registered
54 Posts
95 miles???? piece of cake!! I go to wildwood NJ from Warren NJ every year...its 152 miles and i tow my ski down every summer for the 3 hour drive...I get there no problems...Hopefully you know how to trailer your ski. If not I can give you step by step instructions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really?

Does it cause any wear on the hull?

What do you mean by trailering?
And no I don't know how.
(lol)

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well in order to "tow" a ski you need a trailor lol. Im guessing your getting a trailor. I can give you step by step instructions on how to trailor your ski. Are you buying the ski ON a trailor?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both ski's that I am looking at are on trailers. What do you mean about trailering a ski? And how do I do that?

Thanks.

I tried getting on this website with my BlackBerry and it didn't work. Like it would let me login but not reply or anything. (lol)

·
Registered
54 Posts
trailoring is the same thing as "towing"...when you say ur trailoring your ski its like saying ur "puttin a ski on a trailor" lol. Just make sure the jetski is hooked up correctly, not too much slack, chains are crossed, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, yeah. I know how to do that. We have had a SunTracker Party Barge before. We never used it so we sold it. I'm looking for a toy for this summer now. (lol)

·
Registered
54 Posts
They definetly are toys lol. I live in Jersey so the waves are always big =P fun fun :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well in Arkansas all we have to ride in are lakes. The biggest waves we see are like 1.5 foot high. And thats on a B I G lake. lol. I think when I get the H.O. I'm gonna take the decals off and put S.H.O. graphics on it. lmao! I think that the H.O. is a good buy. And I want to take it in the ocean and ride the big waves. Might have to take a road trip. lmao!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Come to Jersey, you could stay at my place and we go ridin all day =P...not sure if the "woman" would like that but Tough =P

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha. I guess I'm gonna have to load the Acura and hook the ski up. lol. Yesterday, I had to call the Acura dealership and see if it could pull it! It's a strong supercharged v6 (280 hp) but I had to make sure. I'm very careful with my baby. lol. What do you pull yours with?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't buy the honda turbo mine has been in the shop for 6 months
Buy a yamaha fx ho ,I have both and the yamaha rides like a cadilac

1 - 20 of 21 Posts