Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the verge of buying a PWC. My favorite at the moment is the Yamaha VXR, retails about $11,200. But nobody should pay retail in this economy, and I know that the dealers will negotiate. Question is... how much? Is there a way to find out what the dealer pays for the PWC? Has anybody out there gotten a good deal on a new yamaha lately?

Any other suggestions to check out for new PWC, assuming a $12k max budget, trailer, etc. included?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If you are in the states, then right now is peak sales time for the dealers. Demand is high, and dealers in my area are not budging on price. They may throw in a few life jackets, etc., but don't expect to see much price reduction..........especially on something new like the VXR/VXS. The deals are made between October and March when they are clearing inventory. You might be able to find a left over FX HO, etc., for a good price, but even those skis are scarce now. If you want to ride this summer, you may just have to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ernest, makes sense, I may have waited too long. I know my local dealer has a VXR in stock and was willing to negotiate a couple of weeks ago, but you may be right -- 'tis the season.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought the VXR

Paid $12,000 even, including tax, title, galvanized trailer... "out the door". Though the trailer was supposed to be new, but sure looked kinda old... a good bit of rust around the lugs & springs. The license tag holder was so brittle it broke off just backing the trailer into the water, and crumbles in my hand with little effort.

Dealer promised that the trailer was new, but that the galvies don't go as fast as the painted ones and the galvies had been sitting around a while. Does this sound right? Seems like the galvies would be more popular.

The unit was purchased in Hayesville, NC.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The most durable trailers are the aluminum ones, also the most expensive, but worth it if you put it in or out of salt water very often. The galvinized trailers are second best, with the painted steel ones the quickest to rust. The dealer must have them setting out in the elements to be in that bad of shape. Look around for a used Triton trailer. You can pick up singles for around $500, and they will last virtually forever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most durable trailers are the aluminum ones, also the most expensive, but worth it if you put it in or out of salt water very often. The galvinized trailers are second best, with the painted steel ones the quickest to rust. The dealer must have them setting out in the elements to be in that bad of shape. Look around for a used Triton trailer. You can pick up singles for around $500, and they will last virtually forever.
Thanks Ernest T... Guess it coulda been worse. yep, clearly this trailer was sitting around in the yard. It's a 2010 model to go with my 2011 VXR, but it is still considered "new" by the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a smoking deal in Dallas and if anyone is looking for one here, send me a PM and I'll tell you where I got mine. I got $1700 off MSRP plus no freight or prep. That did include the $500 rebate from Yamaha good through today.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What total price did you pay after tax, title, trailer (buy one?), IOW, "out the door"? I paid $12000 even, out the door. Seemed like a good deal, though the galvy trailer turned out not to be brand new. Unused maybe, but looked like it had been sitting in the yard for a year. I would think that now that summer is waning, better deals like yours should be found more readily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in NJ and got a quote on a seadoo.. it was a 2011 GTI 130 SE.. retail is $9600... Bottom line price they gave was 8400 plus tax and reg... So roughly 1200 off... As for a trailer they said it would be roughly 600 for a brand new trailer.. Some dealers like to start at the MSRP which no one should ever pay.. Then they try to take 300-400 off and make it sound like its a great deal.. The fact that a dealer can take 1200 off and still be making a profit shows how much room they really do have.. And this is on a 2011 model.. Another dealer i spoke with had a brand new 2008 Seadoo.. Retail was 13,300 and they are currently offering it at 10,000 and still willing to negotiate.. Its all in the dealer you go to.. Some like to play the game while others know the game and go straight to the bottom line.. Personally a dealer that is willing to go straight in with the bottom line price is what I look for.. I understand as a consumer they have to make their money but some dealerships are just greedy.. I hate playing the back and forth game of "let me check with my manager".. The sales guy knows what the lowest the dealership will take.. Oh and I hate.. Absolutely HATE when they throw out the "We are losing money on this deal".. No you arn't.. Maybe on a 4 year old model.. But on a brand new model you are not losing money otherwise you wouldnt be selling it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts