Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GP1200 -Manual prime is the only way it will start

Hello,

My '98 GP1200W choke functions properly but has no effect when starting. I can never seem to start the engine unless I manually "prime" the carburetor. I leave the plastic screw on air filter cover loose, I have to pull the seat back, keep a squirt bottle with gas in it, squirt into the hole over the center carb, then start. After a few attempts it will stay running and once warmed up starts fine.

As mentioned the choke functions properly (cable works, choke flaps close etc.) but just doesn't help start motor. Any ides of what to check?

Thanks.
rm

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 97 GP1200 that won't start either...looking into a primer kit to keep from having to manually prime it when it's cold.
If you put one on let me know if it helps

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

My '98 GP1200W choke functions properly but has no effect when starting. I can never seem to start the engine unless I manually "prime" the carburetor. I leave the plastic screw on air filter cover loose, I have to pull the seat back, keep a squirt bottle with gas in it, squirt into the hole over the center carb, then start. After a few attempts it will stay running and once warmed up starts fine.

As mentioned the choke functions properly (cable works, choke flaps close etc.) but just doesn't help start motor. Any ides of what to check?

Thanks.
rm
The first thing I would do is change the fuel filter!!!! The OEM choke should work fine for getting the fuel to the carbs. If not, like in your case, you have filter issues. Once the filter is changed, if it still does it, replace the pulse lines going from the carbs to the engine, also replace the fuel lines as they can get swollen insde from age and oil. If all else fails, get a primer kit. But the choke should work. i have 3 of these skis, 1 w/ primer 2 w/ choke! post your results

1 - 4 of 4 Posts