Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, put in some new plugs, launched ski, started right up, screaming right along for 10-15 minutes...shut off for a couple minutes. When I went to go, bogged right down...ran around on what felt like 2 cylinders for 10-15 minutes, pulled to shore, took off seat...the aftmost cylinder was definately cooler than the other 2....pulled plug, it was soaked...pulled the other 2, they were hot and dry...so my question to you is, is it possible the carb was dumping to much fuel causing that cylinder to flood? or is the ecm(or whatever the "brain" box is called) warming up and cutting off power to spark plug causing fuel to be unburned? thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'd check to be sure you are getting spark to that cylinder first........sounds like a fouled plug or loose plug wire. Very unlikely you would be getting too much fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey ernest, thanks for reply...plug was very clean although it was soaked, it was brand new.....also just checked spark and it was fine but if a bad wire, it could be intermittant correct?...how often do wires go bad?...they look like a pita to change!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no sir...Going to take it out again and if/when have the same problem, will pull plug wire and see if good spark, if yes, then must be carb, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If not resolved, the next step is a compression check. Bout to open one up shortly (that I know has a burned piston). Should be around 115-120 psi.

Was there any specks of aluminum on the wet spark plug?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have fuel, spark and compression. It should fire. Compression is never intermittent, carb is hardly ever, so that leaves spark, which means loose or bad wire. Try swapping the plugs, and then the wire if that's possible on your unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
replaced cat con put in water ran awesome for half hour, then back to the same thing! when I had it apart for d plate intall, Itook the e box apart and put an ohmeter on questionable wirw(shortest one) and wiggled around as mush as I could, seemed fine...guess I just have to have carbs rebuilt....QUESTION- DO i JUST LEAVE SENSOR WIRE HANGING, CUT IT OFF, OR INSTALL A "PLUG" ? THIS IS WHAT i'D PREFER, ANY IDEA OF THREAD AND LENGTH? THanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts