Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello i have a 1998 gp1200 , it all started one day after a trip to mexico and had capsized and sucked water into the carbs some how. we got back to dock and all the carbs were wet . I had cleaned out the carbs and got it running fine. when I had gotten home I was flushing the system out one more time and then it started to rev out of control , nothing worked to kill the engine (kill switch and stop button would not shut it off) even pulling all the spark plug wires did nothing it ran like a diesel screaming. I took it to yahmaha and they just said get new carbs. I had a friend that could fix the carbs and noticed some rust he cleand it all out and we bought a carb rebuild kit that he did as well. I put them back in and it reved up fine but wouldent idle . I took the jet ski back to Ridenow to get it dialed in, Its started out great but suddenly then reves up like mad very inconsistant. dont know what to do and I know the carb are extremly clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing happened to me after an engine rebuild. Yes, you have an air leak. If it happens again, just pull kill lanyard AND squeze full open on throttle. Engine will stall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me after an engine rebuild. Yes, you have an air leak. If it happens again, just pull kill lanyard AND squeze full open on throttle. Engine will stall.
Thanks, we will start there.

If anyone has anymore ideas please.. Post.
Had the same problem on a 2000 GP 800. After PM, new plugs, spray lubricant on all the exposed carb and valve linkage, cylinder lube, greased the main drive bearing and replacing the fuel filter I pulled the Carb cover and Flash suppressor so the Carbs were completely open. Be very careful if you are not putting the flash suppressor screen over the Carbs and starting the engine (not recommended), put the screen on before you start it (each time), its a good way to start the ski on fire. I loaded the carbs up with Carb cleaner three or four times a day for three days, went through an entire can. Started the ski about every other treatment and was constantly working the throttle while spraying the carb cleaner into the carbs. After 6 days, two tanks of fuel and three trips to the lake the ski is running like new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts