Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 GP1200R which has alot of work done to the SKi. I purchased it from a second owner who said he rode it a few times and about 2 months ago rode it and when he was flushing it he said it started making a nocking noise in the engine so he shut it off. When he tried to start it again it just went clicked as it locked up.. He was selling it as a ski which needed a rebuild due to the engine being locked.

I got it home and noticed rubbing on the impeller houseing so asumed it could possibly be a warped impeller housing locking the impeller in placed which was the problem was with a GP800r I purchased 2 years ago. I pulled the impeller housing off and noticed that wasnt the problem. I checked the plugs and the first and second cylinder had water on the plugs. I pulled all three plugs and kept tapping the start. It started to turn over then locked again. I did this a few more times and it started turning over with out any issues but blowing water out of the first and second cylinder and eventually the third.

I am guessing this is what is called hydro lock and is caused by him turning the water on before starting the ski. I was wondering does this do any damage to the ski and is all i have to do is turn it over till all the water stops comming out of the cylinders. Then put new plugs in it and try starting it. I dont want to do any further damage to the ski if it even has done any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
323 Posts
correct. he would have turned the hose on without it running and told you a little fib on how it happened. If it has being sitting for a while with the water in it its best to pull it down and clean everthing in kerosene wash. Then you can apply plenty of oil to all the bearings and you might want to replace the little end bearings. It gives you a chance to look at everthing, clean it and re-install it with peace of mind. If you get it going now without doing this it possibly could let go at any time doing heaps more internal damage. The gaskets for the engine are stainless so really, to pull it apart and check it is only costing your time and a couple of little ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good thanks for the help.. Also I noticed when I was cranking it over last night cylinder 3 had little to know compression. Im sure ill need a ring for that piston and hopefully none of the cylinders are not scared. So the bottom end where the crank is. (Might be a dumb question but am just trying to get the gist of how the they are setup.) Is the crank dry and not lubed by the oil\gas mix or cooled with water? Also when I cranked it over for a little while not for very long intrevals but it apeared there was alot of water and it would bubble when I stopped cranking. But when I started it again would always find a little more. I have heard it might be good to turn the ski over and do it but that seems like a rather big job. Any other places I should look for water so when I do drop the engine back in I wont cause the same problem of forcing water back in the cylinders of the engine?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes that is a silly question. haha. maybe you should take it to a mechanic. No offence but if you dont know what your doing, you'll just blow it up again. Because you need to get these engines pretty perfect because they are run at 100% throttle most of the time. If you do want to continue, the cylinder with zero compression will need to be replaced. They are nickalsil and f the rings are stuffed, the barrel will be too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts