Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm a new member but have been reading the forums. I decided after reading the positives and negatives to buy a 2001 gp1200R with 21 hours on it. I checked it out and was in mint condition garage heated and all. I used it for about 7 hours checking it periodically and it was great until:mad:

At the end of the third day it just quit while riding at full speed. I did all the checks change plugs, siphoned fuel, charged battery and really could not believe this was not the problem. I finally checked the compression knowing that could not be the problem but to my suprise and disbelief I had no compression on #3. It's almost impossible to feel the oil line going to that #3 carb but it seems intact?

So my question is I paid what I considered top dollar for a mint machine and I want an expert Yamaha mech to give me my options ie: is it just the piston and rings and I realize you always don't get the best service from an authorized dealer. So can anyone tell me where I can take my jet ski that knows these engines and treat me fairly and honestly. I live in Bowling Green KY about an hour north of Nashville, TN but would be willing to drive 8 hours for the right mechanic. I have owned boats before but this is my first purchase of a PWC and need your help in getting this problem fixed and I really do appreciate all the opinions on this forum

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Don't go to the dealer find a good private mechanic or shop. A top end on a gp1200r should cost around $1200 with a carb rebuild.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Yamadude :thumbsup:. The problem is finding an expert to do this. I've read too many horror stories if it's not done right. I wouldn't mind taking to a great dealer but $90 an hour is not a reasonable amount per hour to work on a jet ski.

I'd like for someone to tell me where I can take this jetski who won't rip me off and do a professional job within 8 hours of Nashville, TN.

Also, I didn't say it initially but the motor is not locked up it has good compression on #1 & 2 so is it common to rework the whole top half since it only has 28 hours?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yamadoo thanks for the link. My biggest concern is finding the right person to fix this. I know people advertise their services on craigslist but the problem is I don't know the quality of their work hence me asking the forum for their expertise or past experiences that lead them to a great mech. Sometimes forums have great mechs who could fix this problem with their eyes closed. Like I said I don't mind paying just want a great mech who will treat me right.

As to your question I paid $4000 and it had a brand new $750 trailer and some other items that came with the ski.

Do you think it ran to lean in just that one cylinder? Also there are not any metal shavings so could it just need a piston & rings for that cylinder? I agree that the carbs need to be gone through to make damn sure this does not happen again. Im also considering premixing the gas - Ive never had this happen in any 2 cycle motor I mixed gas for - I could care less if I foul out a plug every now and than if thats the worst thing that could happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yamadoo it might not be a bad idea for me to drive up to the Windy City and have dinner at Redfish my favorite all time restuarant lol.

Another question for you its my understanding that the cylinders are independent and can be exchanged through SBT for $350 you just have to know if its been bored or original equipment. I'm still not understanding why a whole top end is required if they can rebuild each cylinder independently? The main problem is availability which they do not have but with that price they include everything needed

·
Registered
811 Posts
Call my guy

If you want the best shop in my area it is J & J Watercraft. Jim and C J are the best. They are an authorized Seadoo dealer but they also do a lot of Yamaha work. How far are you from Delaware? Here is their number (302)655-4957 ask for Jim the owner or C J the lead tech. if nothin else good info. They have helped out some other folks on this forum.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Outlaw thanks for the reply and suggestion for J & J:thumbsup: Deleware is just a little father than i wanted to go but I'm thinking about buying a new Fx Cruiser that's on Ebay in NY so it could be a possibility.

I will call the guys at J & J and ask for their opinion and what they would charge per hour to do the job? I just think it's rediculous that a Ski with 28 hours has a cylinder go out in it - and why is it always the #3 cylinder? Something smells rotten in Denmark to me that the same cylinder seems to have run lean on these GPR models - Outlaw any thoughts on how to prevent in the future? Like I said I'm seriously considering Premixing the fuel. But if the damn things are so sensitive that may not totally eliminate the problem if its not in sync

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
It happens my GPR had only 80 something hours and lost compression on all cylinders. I don't think oil starvation was your issue though. Sounds like a carb ran it lean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YamaDoo I agree with you I think the carb ran it lean but why? I mean really how are you supposed to know it's running lean in just that one cylinder? It ran so well no warning signs at all just died. Also were not talking about a jetski abused by it's owner or not maintained. The guy that owned this jetski had a 1984 John Deere riding mower that still looked new - he washed and washed it after every cut lol

So my first priorty is to find the right person to fix because obviously if the carb repair is not done right that will affect the mixture whether I premix or not - right? I have talked to several shops but I just don't have any comfort level with anybody I have talked to.

I'm still looking so if anybody has anymore suggestions for a great tech they know with 8 hours of me let me know - the wife is:mad:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here is my thought

This is how it could have happened. Ok when we broke out our snowmobiles every year, which are two strokes, first on the list were the carbs. You have to take off the carbs to be safe and disassemble and clean in a parts cleaner. In lot of cases the main jet starts to close from varnish making the actual jet size smaller due to the restriction. In effect it is like jetting down. The problem only gets worse with time. Then one day your operating at a high speed and POP....... Its good to do it each year whether or not they need it, stops floats from sticking, cleans the idle and main jet. This is based on my experience with Mikuni carbs

That would also explain why one carb was bad, it just gummed up first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Power valves

No I have not taken the Power valves off yet, but like I said this Ski had 28 hours - mint condition. Do you think the power valve could have failed that quickly? I realize from the numerous posts that I need to address that issue at some point with Wave eater Clips, but I thought I would get that done within 80 hours. Also if the Power Valve fell into the cylinder wouldn't I hear some rattling ?

If I go ahead and look at the Power Valves before I can find a Yamaha mech to look at it what do I need to be careful of when I take the Power Valve off the #3 Cylinder? Don't want to sound stupid but nothing is going to fall down in the valve if I take the 4 bolts off the power valve? Also will I need to put a new gasket on or is the old one ok as long as its intact when i take off?

Outlaw if your right that just that #3 ran lean would it have mattered if it was Premixed fuel or not? Also my main experience with dirt bike 2 strokes if its running lean its an audible difference you can tell. Also I have noticed that when it's running too lean you get a slight increase in power - which I didn't notice either of these conditions.

Finally, I'm still in the market for that Yamaha Tech if anyone can help. I mean really if I know more by reading these forums than the guys I'm talking to I know I'm talking to the wrong person - right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outlaw help me out here

Ok Outlaw I'm just thinking her about your point of the restriction on the jets from Varnish. If I had a restriction of fuel to that cylinder but the oil pump is pumping oil based on the RPM Crank I would be running rich in that carb not lean - right? Am I trying to over analyze this or what it just pisses me off that this happened and now I can't find someone I feel comfortable with doing the repair job. I could do it myself if I had seen it done but it's like anything - it's easy if you know what your doing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
More details......

Ok Outlaw I'm just thinking her about your point of the restriction on the jets from Varnish. If I had a restriction of fuel to that cylinder but the oil pump is pumping oil based on the RPM Crank I would be running rich in that carb not lean - right? Am I trying to over analyze this or what it just pisses me off that this happened and now I can't find someone I feel comfortable with doing the repair job. I could do it myself if I had seen it done but it's like anything - it's easy if you know what your doing.
Kentucky Boy, I used to drag race snowmobiles on frozen lakes in upstate N.Y., so I have alot of experience when it comes to runnin on the ragged edge. We would use oxygen density meters, jet for the morning and re-jet for the afternoon! I ran EGT guages dialed into 1150 degrees. Aluminum melts @ 1250 degrees. Burnt some holes through pistons WHILE RUNNING OIL INJECTION. See it is the high internal cylinder temps due to lack of fuel, because raw fuel actually helps cool the engine. Thats why you burp it after a drag race to dump raw fuel into the jugs. So you see oil whether pre-mix or injection is irrelevant to a lean fuel problem. It's all about high temps due to lean gas/oxygen mixture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Outlaw Thanks

Outlaw you have led an exciting life. I appreciate your input on this forum and thanks for getting me straight on the Premix gas issue. So it wouldn't have mattered if I was running Premix. This makes me feel a little better.

I'm calling the guys at J& J today to see what they say but that's along way to go without any other reason. So I really need to be working on these carbs every year to prevent this from happening? By the way what caused you to lose all 3 cylinders at once? I've always loved 2 stoke motors, but maybe I need to look at the High Output 4 strokes?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Outlaw you have led an exciting life. I appreciate your input on this forum and thanks for getting me straight on the Premix gas issue. So it wouldn't have mattered if I was running Premix. This makes me feel a little better.

I'm calling the guys at J& J today to see what they say but that's along way to go without any other reason. So I really need to be working on these carbs every year to prevent this from happening? By the way what caused you to lose all 3 cylinders at once? I've always loved 2 stoke motors, but maybe I need to look at the High Output 4 strokes?
Hey there, just thought I would let you know that I didn't burn down three pistons at once, just multiple single piston burn downs, mostly the center cylinder, it ran the hottest from being in the middle.

I have always loved two strokes as well. Thats all we ran in Skidoos. But he times they are a changin. I love my 4 stroke seadoos, supercharging wakes them up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Outlaw they hung up on me

The guys at J & J were not in and the girl that answered the phone hung up on me when I said it was about a Yamaha Jetski lol. Oh well I will try again next week to find somebody. I will catch up with you next week I have to go out of town for the weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts