Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY 03" GP1300R smokes alittle when started. recently I noticed it is increasing oil consumption. how can I troubleshoot the oil pump? If my oil pump is bad how can i bypass it and just premix fuel? does the oil pump lubricate any additional motor compponents?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If my oil pump is bad how can i bypass it and just premix fuel? does the oil pump lubricate any additional motor compponents?
Premix is the best option if you are having problems with your injection. Your ski will run better with a consistent fuel/oil ratio (it's awesome for those long no wake zones) You can find them here (bottom of the page) part# 011-216

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, never heard of them before. the oil injection cut off kits specify for 900/1200 model and no mention of 1300 although it looks like it would work. I CHECK WITH 2 suppliers their add says the same 900/1200 models?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I disagree with oncedoen. A variable oil mixture means your engine runs cleaner and more efficiantly. When you have a constant oil misture in the fuel, it will smoke a lot at low revs and can possibly foul up. When you say it burning oil, how much. Because one oil tank should last 4 fuel tanks. The oil pump has a mechanical adjustment that cant move unless the lever was bent which doesnt happen. so what oil are you using, is it yamalube 2W?? if not and you are using something thicker it is likely to be clogging the power valves. It is important everone uses the recommended oil on newer model skis. It wasnt so important previously but is now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have always used W-2 oil by Yamaha. Oil warning indictor sounding off everytime I take it out in recent history because I have been adding a quart at a time but, on this tank full(12 gal) i put in 2 quarts of W-2 and before low fuel indicator sounded off I got the low oil light. SO that was 2 quarts oil/10 gal of gas approx because I was starting to get low on fuel. I would apprecieate any ideas but, I will pull the tanks out so I can see the oil pump and make sure it is adjusted properly which I have no doubt it will be correct.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You wont be pulling the tanks out. You cant without the engine out. Take the front of the exhaust off and you can see the pump from there. There is a spring on the lever that the cable goes to on the oil pump that can break keeping the oil feed constant. I would say that is your drama. Once you can get to the pump, take the pump off by undoing 2 x 10mm bolts and you will see if the lever has tension on it.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
GcWaverunner I just joined and found your post , I had won a gp1300r from factory in 2003 and since then the waverunner has run flawlessly the friend at the factory here gave me soem oil for it and I hardly ever had to add any oil the waverunner would do 80mph but never put a gps on the unit to see if it was correct . Now the waverunner has 65 hours on it and the I was going to add some oil and found out I was out oif the stuff friend gave me from yamaha and then I found out it was the incorrect oil and so I order the 2 w oil and added two qrts. the past oil they gave me that I add added a couple qrts in the past was the 20w50 . So with the correct oil in the tank mixed with the old oil I get the low oil indicator, check low oil indicator and all is good so take to local yamaha certified shop they change the oil level sending unit and I test it out and still doing the same no power and oil low indicator coming on. Push button and hardly runs and wont go over 40mph adn no power . The shop says most likely a computer but we can bypass to save money and that is why I am here reading your post . thank you for any help . from andy

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
waverunner oil low warning no power

GcWaverunner I just joined and found your post , I had won a gp1300r from factory in 2003 and since then the waverunner has run flawlessly the friend at the factory here gave me some oil for it and I hardly ever had to add any oil the waverunner would do 80mph but never put a gps on the unit to see if it was correct . Now the waverunner has 65 hours on it and the I was going to add some oil and found out I was out oil the stuff friend gave me from yamaha and then I found out it was the incorrect oil and so I order the 2 w oil and added two qrts. The past oil they gave me that I add added a couple qrts in the past was the 20w50. So with the correct oil in the tank mixed with the old oil I get the low oil indicator, check low oil indicator and all is good so take to local yamaha certified shop they change the oil level sending unit and I test it out and still doing the same no power and oil low indicator coming on. Push button shuts up alarm and hardly runs and wont go over 40mph and no power . The shop says most likely a computer but we can bypass to save money and that is why I am here reading your post . thank you for any help . from andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not see where the local shop addressed the problem of having 20/50W run through it. the shop changed the oil sending unit which I removed the one in my GP1300R and it ran better. consultation with a knowledgable mechanic that can tell what if any damage was done is where I would start, I am hesitant to just take it to a shop, they fix what they think is broke to get yourr money and send you out the door.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
so far was told I can bypass the low oil level switch with paper clip but you have to let run or drive for a 1 mile or more and I was told to do compression check first and if cat is plugged that wont effect compression . compression over 120 should be spec .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts