Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 GP800R with 85 hrs. Lately it's very hard to start and dies at idle. Once it's over going over about 2000 rpm, it's fine. Top end is fine, too. I've tried adjusting the idle screw, replacing plugs and fuel filter, and fuel system cleaner. I don't think it's carbs, since it runs great from 2000 up. Could a weak/old battery cause this? I'd appreciate any other ideas anyone has, before I get bankrupted by my local shop. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
my 2001 did the same thing right before it completely blew. i've been told that its not uncommon for the high reving 2 strokes to blow around 100 hours especially if not winterized and maintained properly. but check the oil injection system as well. i hope everything is fine for you because a new engine will run you close to 2 grand with labor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem seems solved

Looks like a new battery did it. I found some other posts where people said that if the battery doesn't have enough juice it will turn over, but produce a very weak spark, if any. Long story short, I put a new battery in and she fires right up and idles great. So far so good. I'm closing on 100 hours, though, so we'll see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts