Personal Water Craft Forum banner

GP800R - Runs on One Cylinder

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fedorov5549 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I need some advice on a '99 GP800R - I've never had a bit of trouble with until the past few weeks. It started with the engine seeming not to get enough fuel. This was quickly fixed with a new fuel filter. A few days later after comming into shore from a 20 minute ride, it refused to start, backfiring a few times.

Since then, I've re-built the carb. and it at least now starts, but it is running only on the back cylinder. Both have good spark. Both cylinders have fuel (thus the backfiring and wet plugs). The only thing I haven't checked is the compression - a friend is bringing me his to borrow.

Is there anything else I'm over looking? This model does have the power valve on it and the actuator motor is working. Any advice, help, or tips would be greatly appreciated!

JT

#2 ·
update

There is no compression in the front cylinder but 50 psi in the rear. Now the question is should I just plan to install new rings, or shoud I consider getting a re-built engine? It's only got 113 hours on it.... but there is almsot 10 years on the unit...

Thanks!
JT

#4 ·
You have more problems than just rings. I am sure you need pistons, probably oversize now, cylinders bored or re-sleeved depending on condition, and maybe head work done. With no compression you might have damaged the case and/crank also. Best to take the engine out and check it fully then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.