Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 f12 n/a and i am experiencing some kind of grinding noise as if something is stuck in the pump. but i have check several times and there was nothing. ( i know it is normal at idle out of water) but it dose it when i am going full speed and let off the throttle a little bit say going from 60 mph to 35, i am imagining its the impeller hitting the housing, my jet pump bearings are good just repacked them. i dont know is this is a normal noise for the ski but the ski rides and accelerates perfectly, and the noise only dose it when slowing down not on acceleration.

·
Registered
285 Posts
sounds like the bearings, how did you repack them? Their a sealed bearing? And several bearings in the drive line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took the cone off the pump cleaned all the old grease out. filled the cone with grease and shot grease to the back bearing with the air grease gun. i donno if there the bearings there is no free play in them, or on the impeller shaft. when they went on my yamaha it was much worse then this

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like your pump liner has swollen, do you ride in salt or fresh water?
Looks like it's time to pull your pump and inspect the the pump lining and check your prop clearance. Once you pull it out you can also check the the drive shaft play. good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like your pump liner has swollen, do you ride in salt or fresh water?
Looks like it's time to pull your pump and inspect the the pump lining and check your prop clearance. Once you pull it out you can also check the the drive shaft play. good luck!
ok i am going to pull it apart on of these days, do i need any special service tools? besides a press for the bearings

·
Registered
28 Posts
prop liner clearance check

You need a pilot tool if you have to pull the prop, a breaker bar, and good sized bench vise. feeler gauge to check your prop clearance. should be 0.3 – 0.5 (0.01 – 0.02). While its out you should look into changing out the the plastic grommets around the steering, reverse and trim cables. They have a tendency to crack, and WILL sink the ski if they crack. I and several friends have changed them out, you can find them on ebay motors, about 6 bucks each. Is a great way to prevent a bad problem ahead time, cheap insurance.
I posted over on GH pictures and some tips to help make the swap easier.
If you find the liner has swollen, be advised, that they can not be relined. Also check the screen on the left side of the pump to make sure it's clear while you have it out see page 14-9 in the service manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts