Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and all of this Jet Ski stuff but I'm preparing to buy one soon. I'm thinking on the Sea-Doo Limited and the FX SHO. Any opinions of which one. I like speed but doubt I'll run them wide open very much and I like the idea of the suspension and iControl on the Sea-Doo but I don't know if it justifies the price difference. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ride them both then decide = most important factor. Where will you ride? The GTX may have an advantage with the closed loop cooling if you are going to be in salt water most of the time........may be a disadvantage if you will be in fresh water, since it is known to have more maintance headaches.

Both fast
Seadoo = more gimicks = more stuff to fail or have problems with (I'd say the brakes are pretty much a sales gimick, and will not be that useful, but the icontrol feature could be nice if you do lots of towing), nice rough water ride
Yamaha = more reliable, really drinks the gas, but uses regular, also good in the rough stuff, also has a cruise control, but not as many features as Seadoo's icontrol.

If top speed is not an issue the 2009 or 2010 FX HO would be a better option over the SHO IMO. It gets much better gas mileage, you don't have the supercharger to worry about, and speed is still plenty fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably only ride in freshwater (Lake Norman (NC)). I've ridden the SeaDoo and really liked it, it has tons of power and felt very stable. I haven't had the chance to ride the Yamaha yet.

Is the jet on the Waverunner a big deal? Does it get in the way if you are pulling a tube or skier? Spray the people on the tube? I've seen the posts about redirecting the spray but I'm not sure I would do that.

Ernest T, Thanks for the advice on the HO vs. the SHO. Any idea how much top end you might be losing with that difference? 60 vs 70 mph?

·
Registered
811 Posts
:thumbsup::)LKNBOUND,

I read your post about the two skis your considering. I can give you my opinion on the GTX limited. Because I will only ride Sea Doos. Started by riding Ski Doo snowmobiles for 25 years and found that the Austrian motors to be second to none They have been pioneers of the rotax rotary valve engines. So when I was looking at Jet skis Sea Doo was my choice. I have a 2009 RXT-IS pretty much like the GTX limited. If you want the most state of art jet ski it is Sea Doo. First manufacter to introduce a stepped hull which reduces friction with the bubbling effect of a stepped hull which yields better performance, the deeper Vee hull is also superior in chop or crossing wakes and if your not careful it will stick so hard in a turn it can throw a novice driver be cause of the high g-force. These are the benefits of the S3 hull, then throw in the suspension and you have a watercross feel. In reguards to the IBR system second to none there is very little effort required to actuate the smooth finger controls. I took my 10 year old daughter out today on the RXT-IS in choppy conditions she loved it we were averaging 50 mph in 1 foot chop. About the braking system. Why is it when one manufactuer has something the others don't, the only thing their loyalists can due is downplay it or call it a gimmick???? Since when is putting brakes on a moving vehicle a gimmick or a bad idea??? Seriously I use the brakes a lot especially when you are in congested areas and people make stupid maneuvers on jet skis and boats towing skiers and tubers. You can stop in over half the distance of skis without brakes. It can save your life. But be careful of braking in front of Yamahas because they can't stop as fast and they will run you over. But check out the Yamaha and see for yourself. BTY, I also own a 2006 RXT with a RIVA stage three kit on it and a 2008 GTX 215. So I have a lot of experience with all with all The Sea Doo three seaters. I wouldn't change for anything. Also find out how reputable each dealer is because these are your go to guys when the chips are down. A warranty is nothing more then a piece of paper. The dealer makes the warranty. Whatever your choice good luck. If you would like any more insight let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the suspension on the Sea-Doo's add a lot? Iv'e ridden a suspension (GTX Limited) and a non-suspension model (GTX 155) and couldn't really appreciate a difference. However, I'm new to all of this and those two test rides constituted my first two rides ever, so I may well have been holding on for dear life rather than trying to capture the subtleties of the ride.

·
Registered
811 Posts
IMO, the is suspension works well. I tried it both with it all the way down in the manual mode, then all the way up. You can feel the difference in the sense that is suspension absorbs the energy and shock transfered to the upper deck making it much less of a jarring effect. You can actually watch the IS work when riding by the way the upper deck travels up and down. I use mine for cruising and my RIVA RXT for racing and there is no comparison to the IS in comfort. little things like a higher quality seat and it is hinged. So between the S3 hull and the IS suspension you can't compare it with any other jet ski because none of them have these two things. Which creates "the sour grape syndrome" in turn they have to minimize the disadvantage for the competition. So if you want a world class ski you get what you pay for. Oh, I forgot to mention the Brakes, suppose something sudden comes sumerged debris or a down skier who is hard to see. Wouldn't you desire not to hit them and apply the brakes? It may save someones life including your own. Game over Yamaha.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'll probably only ride in freshwater (Lake Norman (NC)). I've ridden the SeaDoo and really liked it, it has tons of power and felt very stable. I haven't had the chance to ride the Yamaha yet.

Is the jet on the Waverunner a big deal? Does it get in the way if you are pulling a tube or skier? Spray the people on the tube? I've seen the posts about redirecting the spray but I'm not sure I would do that.

Ernest T, Thanks for the advice on the HO vs. the SHO. Any idea how much top end you might be losing with that difference? 60 vs 70 mph?
The "visibility spout" as Yamaha calls it can be a pain sometimes, but usually doesn't affect skiers, or people you are towing since they are far enough behind it. My brother his wife and I often ride together, and if you are not careful you end up spraying those close by as you as you are pulling away from each other (my brother does it on purpose and gets a great laugh each time he soaks somebody). If it becomes a problem you can disconnect it (it is a simple rubber hose), or I've even seen some guys install a valve so they can turn it on or off.

The SHO will do around 67-68 mph and the FX HO around 64. So you are giving up around 3-4 mph. (I'm talking about the 2009-2010 FX HO, which has the 1800cc engine). The older model FX HOs (like my 2008 will do around 61).

Lake Norman is where I ride. I keep my boat and ski at Morningstar Marina at Skipper's landing in Troutman. Maybe I'll see you around the lake. There were lots of skis out there this past weekend.......I'm thinking Outlaw's post about the brakes may not be such a bad idea after seeing some of the crazy stuff that goes on at that lake, but after you learn to ride, you will find that you can turn most skis on a dime to avoid a collison. If you are that close to hitting something, all the brakes are going to do is restrict your ability to steer and soften the impact.

Before you are sold on the Seadoo braking system, and before you discount my opinion that it is a marketing gimick, please check out this professional evaluation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDBFxjPTE0 The braking system may actually be more dangerous for new riders! Picture that float as the "downed skier" that Outlaw mentioned............ouch! I hope Seadoo has a good legal team when someone gets injuried BECAUSE of the braking system.........Game Over Seadoo!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well everybody has an opinion about the Sea Doo Braking system. You can try and twist it any way you want. Try turning at 60- 70 mph to avoid an object if you can hold on you may make it. Notice there is no mention of trying to stop at those speeds. I have slammed on the brakes at 69 MPH and felt the stopping power. Yes "I" personally have used this and own it , so I think I can say that I have firsthand experience with system and can honestly say I would rather have it then not. Also an experienced rider can apply the brakes to slow and then apply power to turn but time will tell if the brakes will make a difference.

Notice there was mention of the other two features that Sea Doo has , a superior S3 hull design and a traveling suspension. Guess advantage Sea Doo.

Game Over Yamaha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you both for all of the great info. I'll probably be pulling the trigger on Friday -- I'm still not sure which one to pick, it may come down to price. Based on your help, I think I probably don't need the top model (SHO or Limited) so it's a chance to save some green and still have a great machine. thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
:thumbsup::)Good luck with your choice, Yamaha and Sea Doo IMO are the top two Jet Skis, so you can't go wrong with either one.

Stay safe, BTW my screen name is related to the 29' outlaw with worked 454 mags that I own, my name is Bob:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO just a week ago. Never even considered a Seadoo!! In fact it was between the Kawasaki Ultra 250/260 and the Yamaha. Went with the Yamaha because most rental companies rely on Yamaha and the Yamaha had extra 2 yr warranty free, etc. You can read my posts if you look up my username. I live in NW Iowa and will be riding on fresh water lakes/dams. TOO many people and friends around here have had MAJOR problems with Seadoos and their supercharger thrust washers that Seadoo would do nothing about! Buy the Yamaha as it is severly detuned with the 1812 cc engine. Will last a long time.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea good luck. You will enjoy either choice. If you decide to go with Yamaha they are having a promotional "Summer of Fun" event right now that will let you get 3 years extended warranty or $450 in accessories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts