Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Kawasaki 900 STX which I bought new. From day 1, it was VERY hard starting after sitting overnight. I have to crank it for about 30 seconds and stop. Then, I crank in 15 second intervals, alternating between full choke, half choke, and no choke and feathering or not feathering gas. Eventually, it will start but it runs down the battery and causes premature battery failure and eventually, I'm sure, starter problems . Once it starts, I can ride it all day and even if it sits for several hours, it will start immediately. By the next day, the same thing happens. The longer it sits, the worse it is. In an unrelated issue, it also smokes like crazy at low idle. As soon as you start moving above 10 mph, it stops. The technician said that the air/oil mixture cannot be changed and it is at factory specs. At this point, I will live with the smoke if I can solve the hard starting problem but wanted to mention it in case it was relavent.

My thoughts are fuel related. My initial thought was a fautly fuel pump, however, as I said, it was from day 1 (I guess it could have been defective) and once it starts, it is flawless for the rest of the day. I assume there is not an electric pump that pumps fuel up into the carbs so I think the fuel is settling down in the lines and takes a long time to get back up to start it. I have changed the fuel filter and change the plugs once every season.

I am not a mechanic and do not know much about fixing PWC's, but can a squeeze bulb like on a boat gas tank be installed to pump the gas up to the carbs for easier starting assuming that is the problem? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It just happeneds with some ski's. my jetski i let sit for a couple days or at least until the motor is dead cold and its crank crank crank just like you but after that it runs like a champ all day.. An easier way to start it is when its cold try and start it on a trailer so it doesn't cycle all that water through while its turning over but after you crank it run it for 20 or 30 seconds max than kill it drop it in the water and it will be good... Most people say oh its bad to run it without water my ski is an 89 and i know a couple mechanics strictly on jetski's and they all agree its fine as long as it no more than 20 or 30 seconds without water at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard start when cold

Thanks for the advice. I keep it in the water all summer and is a real pain to pull it out each time I want to start it. However, I have tried starting it when it is out and although it is a little better, it still takes forever to start. Others have suggested a fuel primer kit which I am leaning towards. Just a little afraid to do it myself due to limited jet ski knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted to bring this thread back...I have a 93 yamaha that behaves identically to that Kawasaki. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved!

I finally solved my problem by biting the bullet and installing a fuel primer kit. I actually had someone do it for me and he was an amazing mechanic. Rather than the do-it-yourself kits sold online, he actually drilled into the block (gulp!) and put fittings directly into each cylinder. Then, in place of the choke on the dash, he replaced it with a pump (looks just like the choke). Now, before starting, I give it 3 pumps, press Start, and bang, it starts up first shot! I should have done this years ago. I can't testify that the results will be identical with the kits, but I don't see why not. Definitely the way to go. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts