Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey total newb here, i just bought a late 80's maybe early 90's kawasaki 650 i got it running and it seems to be in real good shape, but i was wondering what i should do in terms of getting it ready for the water... i dont know pretty much anything about pwc's in general and this is my first one, if anyone can give me an idea of what should be replaced and/or inspected i would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone know what parts i should carry on hand that are most likely to fail in the water and what signs of failing i should look out for, you would save me from a busted weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On a ski that old (I own and still ride my 1988 550sx) or one that's been sitting around for years, you'll want to make sure all the nuts/bolts are torqued down. You'll also want to worry about old/stale gas that may be in the line so a few good shots of Gumout down your carb while it's running would be in order if it has been sitting around for a while. The fact that it starts and runs is a very good sign.

If it doesn't have a garden hose bypass/flush kit cut into the cooling line, you need to make sure you don't run it out of the water. IF it does have one, then you can run it (and keep it from burning up out of the water) with fresh water slowly flowing through (no need to flood it, a steady flow is all that's needed).

The late 80's early 90s was the peak of popularity for stand-up PWC, so you have a really nice model. The 650sx came out in 1988 if I'm not mistaken... It was a V hull design, and it moved the hinge for the handle bar back a couple of inches... both are changes from other hull/body designs. As a "trick rider", I don't care for the 650 design or V hull, but it's still a nice ski.

When you are done riding, flush it with fresh water, and then spray EVERYTHING in the engine compartment down with a healthy coating of WD40.

Other than that... RIDE ON!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts