Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am new to the whole jet ski world i have two 2003 honda aquatrax 1235 turbo charged skis...... They both only have 60 hours on the motors .......... I am haveing a problem with BOTH of them they are doing the same thing and this is what they are doing when you are hitting the throttle they used to just take right off but now they are very sluggish and make weird noises like clunking sounds......... when you are accelerating not at full throttle it will be okay and run but as sooon as you try and smash the throttle its almost like its slipping gears or something like that it will maintain the speed that you are at but not go any higher but then all of asudden it will begin to work again i have no idea what it is so any information would be greatly appreciated....

thanx,
harry

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had the same situation and according to the repair shop we took them to it is debris getting stuck in the intake grate. If you put them in reverse and blow it out they perform fine again. Repairman told us to shove away from the banks to avoid debris in grate, when we took ours it had a 12 inch stick stuck in the grate that was being chopped up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have looked up in there and still cant find anything that could be lodged up in there and i also have ran both of them in reverse thinking that it would be something like that but still havent had any luck could you see the stick yourself or did you actually have to take it in to find out that it was in there?? also is there any other suggestions thanx for the reply guys just want to get these things running again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Being new, running in reverse will NOT clean the stuff that was inside the grate/impeller. it does not run the impeller in reverse, just diverts the water coming out of the jet into the reverse direction. it may be enough to knock the stuff loose that is on the grate, but i had mine full of seaweed, and reving the engine in reverse is only going to suck the stuff up more. Have to take it out of the water, pull everything you can out of the grate, possibly remove the grate if you can't remove it all. Could be that something went through the impeller and ruined the sleeve and the impeller blades also, tough to say without looking at it. Sand going through the impeller will eat away at the blades/sleeve enough to cause a loss in power and some vibrations because it opens up the close tolerance, thus losing the "seal" created by them being close and pushing all the water out. You'd notice a drop in top end speed if this was the case. The slipping gears is cavitation is my guess. They all do this. An aftermarket impeller will help fix this problem, and while changing that you may find the root of your intake problem also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mechanic actually took a stick and dug it out of the grate on ours. The stick was pretty sliced up from being stuck in there. The mechanic advised us to push away from shore and debris and also if it does lose power and knock to take something long and thin when not in operation to see if something is lodged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the advice i hope that it is something that simple but its weird that they both are doing it have to check it out though will get back with you

·
Registered
10 Posts
What was the problem here?

Hondaraider61,

Your problem sounds like mine but I am saying it is engine trouble instead of impeller. I would like to know what you did?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts