Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kawasaki STX di. the ski turns on and Idles fine, revs fine too .but it does not reach full speed like it used to I'm topping out at around 40-45 mph when it used to reach around 60-65. Any suggestions on what it might be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I took it to a mechanic and we Hooked it up to the computer and it said that injectors 1,2,3 are running open circuit. Can anyone clarify this as to wat it means. I rode the ski this weekend and it sputters in low rpm and at WOT it does the same but not as much doesn't rev past 5k rpm so the ski doesn't go Past 35 mph if it's the computer that's giving me the problem where can I send it to get fixed

·
Registered
16 Posts
This pertains to an automobile, but I think the troubleshooting would be very similar. You may need your manual for the specs or ask the mechanic. Hope this helps

Start at the injector..with a multimeter check the ohm's on it...if open there's the problem..

Next go to the plug and clean it and then check it...

If you still have a problem get a wiring diagram and see if your wires are open or grounded.

Think of the electric system as a water system. The electricity is the water. Anyplace it's flow is interupted is where you have a problem.

Your possible problems could be, bad injector, open wire, bad connector or worse case, bad computer which I don't think as the other injectors are working ok.

If you don't have a way to check the injector swap it with one you know is good and see what happens. If it's still bad then start from the connector at the injector and work yourway back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'm crossing my fingers.I really hope it's not the computer. Considering that would be crazy because the ski only has 62 hrs on it. Wen the mechanic did a diagnostic test to make sure the three injectors came on and functioned he didn't mention anything about them being bad but we didn't check the connectors or the plugs but when I got home I pulled out the spark plug and as to no surprise it was black which tells me that it's running rich (correct me if I'm wrong) so I switched the plugs but haven't pulled them off to check again. Another issue I saw was that the software was having trouble communicating with the emm it let us run the tests but I did not allow us to reset the emm. Wondering if that's normal? Either way I'm going to check wiring and connectors and see what I come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts