1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, new here, i have a 97 gsi, and a 97 gti,

new to power sports, anyway my questions are

on my gsi i get the message--"maint" and yesterday i got "high temp"
what do these mean? it was running full out and then cut out?
any suggestions or guidence?

also my gti neeeds a electrical box (cdi unit) whats the best place to lok for parts?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
323 Posts
Maint comes up when it needs a service. Its electronically programmed into the gauge at certain hours. And the Temp means you have overheated it. After a while the alarm will shut the engine off if it hasn't already seized up. If it is still winding over and has compression, that is good. If not you will probably need a top end rebuild. The causes are from a water cooling blockage somewhere in the hoses, water jackets or pump unit pick up.
It can be a fairly time consuming job looking for blockages. That's why you should start the engine in about 2ft of water to eliminate the pump sucking up sand and rocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maint comes up when it needs a service. Its electronically programmed into the gauge at certain hours. And the Temp means you have overheated it. After a while the alarm will shut the engine off if it hasn't already seized up. If it is still winding over and has compression, that is good. If not you will probably need a top end rebuild. The causes are from a water cooling blockage somewhere in the hoses, water jackets or pump unit pick up.
It can be a fairly time consuming job looking for blockages. That's why you should start the engine in about 2ft of water to eliminate the pump sucking up sand and rocks.

it stil turns over, and cranks up, will the maint thing go away?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts