Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- took all day to finish rebuilding my number 1 cylinder in my zxi and took it to the river for about an hour and didn't get too crazy with it - but maybe gave a little too much it final last seconds- it seized up and had to be towed about 6 miles downstream- got back to the lauch and threw a battery pack on it and it started right up- but ran pretty bad- took it home and #1 compression is nearly 0 again! --- one thing I couldn't figure out is on the intake manifold in the front of the engine there is a spot for a hose but I could find any thing to go to it??? My buddy told me it was prolly a vacuum line and to cap it and the guy who had the ski before prolly forgot to do that before and that was prolly the reason it burnt the piston to begin with - I even mixed some oil with the gas to avoid this whole problem-- any suggestions for the next rebuild?????

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you feel and vacume or pressure coming from that "hose" point?..

Did you re-ring the entire engine or just that one cyl.?..

Were any of the bores re-cut or pistons replaced?..

There are certain break-in procedures that must be performed...

One of which is increasing the oil to fuel ratio..

Another is the varying of engine rpm's during the first few hours in order to get the new rings to seat properly..(meaning..do NOT hold any one rpm for any length of tyme)..

And not to insult you in any way..but who performed the rebuild?..

I ask that because if something like filing the ring gap improperly can cause a ring to bind upon expansion or groove a cyl. wall..

Do you have a bore scope?..you could then look inside both that "hose" port and the affected cyl...

·
Registered
227 Posts
So you just put a piston in #1 right? Is it honed or bored? Looks like a pulse fitting for a fuel pump on the crankcase where the reed goes in. Hard to believe there is only one, or even 2 fuel pumps for his motor. I'd get three aftermarket to feed that hungry beast. Did you rebuild that carburetor at least? Make sure your oil pump and cooling system is working before heading anywhere. No vacuum lines on these motors, jeez.

·
Registered
285 Posts
OUCH. On the intake side their is a hose? Not capped? Or connected to anything and left that way? Lean running engine and burnt cycl.
New Jet Ski Parts and Used Jetski Parts - Jetskiparts.com look up your ski and you will find a complete parts breakdown and where everything should go! GET RID OF THE OIL PUMP! buy a block off for it and pre-mix the oil! Make sure to check your carbs also so your not running lean. send them to PURELY TECHNICAL online with and let them do it much easier and cheaper than you doing it. Good luck at starting over, make sure piston was put in right way and so were rings. Seen this mistake happen before trying to save money.
Good Luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havn't put much time into the ski beiing its the last few weeks of summer- but I removed the head and seen the ring had busted and scored up the cylinder wall- I did only rebuild that cylinder and used a new piston and rings- I had plenty of gap on the rings- when I started the rebuild the piston I removed was probably the worst I ever seen... It had a hole in the side of it but suprisingly the cylinder was was not scored--- I am aiming towards a carb problem because I didn't rebuild it and I had put premix in the gas to make sure it wasn't a injection problem- It seems the injection system is working fine due to the fact the I had a small amount of oil on the seat of the plugs and it had a tanish color to them- I let you guys know what the status is in the next week- I'm gonna get the motivation to rip it down again and maybe a cylinder exchange this time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts