Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently turned my jet ski over,motor compartment filled with salt water.I removed all the water tried to start to no avail.Took ski home pulled plugs found them milky white. So water got in im guessing from flipping the ski back over the wrong way. I dried out all cylinders for hours with a hair dryer and cranking over without the plugs out. Finally got it started let it run for like 10 minutes on garden hose.Then i took it to the water and headed out to run it for awhile to help dry out more. I ran it around for like 4 hours not a prob one.Two weeks later i go back to put the ski in the water starts fine takes off good then started to like miss or bog intermediate,then was fine. I beached the ski for like 3 hrs went back to take off and it hesitated then took off.Went like 4 miles at like 40 mph then the ski basically just lost power and i was left idleing back to the ramp. I tried to give it gas,just bogs and wont go any faster then idle speed. I get it home pull plugs 1 seems a little wet other 2 look to be burning good. put plugs back in fire it up with water hose hooked up and revs higher but cuts or bogs at a certain point like hesitates then picks up. I have noticed motor seems hotter then normal,but no temp light coming on.So wondering if maybe carbs,revlimiter,salt build up near where the water comes into the motor on the heads or something. Please help pulling my hair out over here.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure you washed out the hull well with fresh water so to stop any corrosion in the motor compartment, salt and metal don't go well together and makes electrical connections suck at working. possible you got some water in the tank also so check the fuel separation. Maybe do a compression check also just to rule out a bad cyclander . keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1997 1100 STX and today mine started doing the exact same thing. The only difference is that mine did not fill with water. I took it out over the weekend and it ran great. Today started out fine but after 10 min the motor started to die and then I couldn't do anything but idle. I changed the file filter and the plugs, put the ski back in the water and it still had no power. I brought it back home and flushed the motor. While flushing the motor would rev up like it should but the motor and the water coming out of the back was real hot. I am also at a loss and any help would be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was searching the net some more and came across another forum with a possible solution.

Let me know if you think this could help.
HELP!! hot stall problem

Well i tried it again today, with a different fuel filter and with no fuel filter at all. I have no idea at all what the deal is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have seen posts like mine on other forums and no matter how old they are there is really never a resolution to the problem.
I hate when people don't post follow ups cuz then a few years down the line no one knows what the fix was ect. :)

The problem with my ski was that the 1 piston detonated. The ski still ran fine after this happened, accept for the loss of power which is why it was hard for me to future out what was going on.
The cause of this has to do with old ass oil lines and from buying this jet ski from a mechanic who had told me that the STX had a brand new motor in it from SBT. I pulled to cylinders off myself, a first for me, and found the damage. Upon inspection of the carbs I found the the #2 carbs small oil line was broken off and that the large puls oil line connected to #1 carb had also broken off. I'm fairly certain that the only reason that I didn't trash the whole motor is because I mix a bit of oil in with the gas just to be on the safe side.
I really blame the jetski mechanic I bought the ski from because when I bought it and asked about some oil in the bottom of the ski I was told that it was do to the engine work that was done on the ski and that it would wash out over time and use. I mean if the guy who works on the jet skis tells you it's normal why wouldn't you believe him.
This is starting to feel like a rant so I'm gonna wrap this up...
The problem was a trashed piston which was caused by 2 broken oil lines.
Moral of the story is. No matter who you buy your jet ski from check the important stuff yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts