Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ultra 150 that I bought new in 2000. This ski is great after I modified the heads. My problem just started. We have had the ski out 4 times this season and I have not had to add any oil. The oil level has not moved making me believe it is not getting oil. A growling/ possible grinding noise started and I promptly took it out of the water. I checked the hose from the bottom of the oil tank that leads into the machine (it runs freely when disconnected) I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
If your engine was not getting any oil, it would have blown on the first trip out. After you modified the heads, what other problems have you had?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ultra 150 I have had no problems

I modified the heads the first season I had the ski. So that was 8 years ago. I have not had any real problems with the machine. Last season the fuel and oil digital gauges stopped working. They just always shows as full. Other than that we have been really really lucky and just put in new batteries every season or two. It is stored in the garage year around and in great shape. The grinding noise has me concerned and the fact that I have not put any oil in it and the oil level is not dropping. Thanks for your help I am desperate it is only the beginning of the season. :)

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Okay, now I understand what you are saying. I'm wondering if your oil injection has quite working on you? The only bad part is if the motor is making noise such as a grinding noise, that means damage is already done and chances are will need to do a rebuild. How many hours are on your ski?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
low hours

Okay, now I understand what you are saying. I'm wondering if your oil injection has quite working on you? The only bad part is if the motor is making noise such as a grinding noise, that means damage is already done and chances are will need to do a rebuild. How many hours are on your ski?
The ski only has 62 hours on it. I have had 3 kids in the last 4 years so I take it out a lot but usually it sits in the water looking pretty :) The noise was very slight but different. I am not sure how to explain the noise exactly it only happened when I would excelerate. Did not make the noise at idle speeds but would start at about 15-20 mph and I could not hear it when I went faster. You can't hear much but the wind and the motor when your going above 40 though. I was the only one that noticed it but I knew it did not sound right and pulled it off the water quick.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I can relate to what you are saying. When I bought my ski in March of 2000, I was single and pretty much living at the beach. A month later, I met my wife and a year later we married. She already had 2 kids from a previous marriage and then we had 2 more together. I think my ski saw most of the 42 hours on it that first season. We also now live in Colorado so it also only sees water in the summer months. This summer, it hasn't even been on the water yet and the way it looks, we are going to miss out on this season altogether. My youngest son was born with aortic stenosis 6 years ago and we just found out he needs open heart surgery so next week he is going to have the surgery to have his aortic valve replaced.

If the ski is only making the noise at a certain speed and only briefly, that is weird. Without being there it is really hard to say what exactly the problem is? It's not using any oil at all though? That is weird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I really hope the surgery goes well and he never has to go through this again.

On a good note I am in the Denver area as well. I understand about short season riding. But hey at least we can ride through about Sept. Where about do you live?

Maybe if you have time we can get together and see if you might be able to help me out. I have the repair manual that I have been going through so maybe that will help us on this journey.

I'm supposed to take it out on Wed. for a work get together but I'm sure it will still be garaged :(

email me direct if you want. It's a secondary account that I rarely check but I will pay attention. [email protected]

Any other ideas would be great too.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I actually live in Sterling but I have another guy coming up from Denver on Monday to look at his ski. My days off from work are Sundays and Mondays so if you don't mind bringing the ski up here sometime, I would be more than happy to look at it for you for free but the only draw back is obviously my sons surgery. I will be in Denver next week but we will be at Children's Hospital the entire time until he is able to come home. I took at least 2 weeks off of work so if he come home early, maybe I can look at your ski then? At this point, it's kind of hard to say because obviously until he has the surgery, we are kind of in the dark on his recovery but I appreciate the kind words! I am also a Christian pastor and we have a lot of people praying for him so that has been a great comfort to us! I will e-mail you once we get through this ordeal and I will try and figure something out when we can meet so I can look at your ski.
Thanks,
Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts