Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think this is a very weird problem and I will do my best to explain it so bare with me.

I have an 89 Seadoo and the first time I took it out after getting a tune up from the local dealer it took a good 10minutes to fire up. Once it started it would die, this went on for a few minutes. Finally it fired up and stayed running the rest of the day with Zero problems. After initially putting the ski in the water it was turned on and off a dozen times the rest of the day and it ran great.

I put it in the water a few weeks later and it fired right up withing 10 seconds, no problems.

The third time I put it in the water I noticed I was low on gas so I went to get the gas cap off and it was "stuck". I had to use the soft end of a screwdriver and a hammer to get the cap to turn and come off. I didn't think much of this and I filled up the ski with 91octante gas. Well, when I got to the river and went to fire it up it would not turn over at all. I tried for a good 10-15 minutes and the ski would crank just fine but it never even sounded like it was going to attempt to start.

Im not mechanically inclined but this is just a guess.
It seems odd that I had trouble the first time when I took the gas cap off and put gas in. The 2nd time I put it in the water I didnt take the gas cap off and it fired right up within 10secodns. The third time I went to use it AFTER taking the gas cap off it didnt fire.

Could I have some sort of vapor lock going on????

The dealer said they didnt have any problems with the ski during their test ride, I plan on taking it back there in a few days but what could be going on here? The ski orgianlly had fuel delivery problems and the dealer replaced all the fuel lines and did a carb kit to it (and new battery)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the fast response, I do appreciate it.

Pardon my ignorance but where do I find my check valve and how do I fix this? Or do I have to replace it? Expensive? Is this something I can do or dealer only?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Maybe the gas cap is hard to get off because it sits out in the sun all day with no cover? When I push on the gas tank it doesnt feel firm so its not full of pressure.

I have no spark either (new plugs). Im going to charge the battery and see if I can get some spark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is your check valve in the vent line
I have spark
I put in brand new plugs but there is no gas getting to the plugs
I pulled the plugs and started the ski (nothing came out of the holes)
I put the plugs back in, tried to start the ski and then took the plugs out and they were dry.

So..........it appears gas is not making it there. Where is the "check valve in my vent line" Im not familiar with this. How do I change it or fix it or replace it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
true. i have a fuel overfill line on the side of my ski, and i purposely overfilled my tank and applied pressure to the tank to clean out my lines. you would not believe the junk that flew out of this line.

cool stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do I know which line is the vent line and what is a check valve?

All of the lines were just replaced to black fuel lines so I would HOPE that I have no blockages. IS there an easy way to check besides taking the lines off one by one?

If you consider the fuel tank as POINT A and everything it connects to as POINT B, C, D, E etc, etc, etc Should I take the fuel lines off of all the other points, leave them connected to the tank. Fill up the tank, put pressure on it and "flush it out" ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please look at the attached pictures of the fuel area. Where I have the arrows, are these the check valves?

Should I take these things off and blow like WD-40 through the lines or something?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE !!!!!

I took the fuel line off of the carb that connects it with the fuel pump. I tried to start the ski and fuel is pulsating out of the pump line so I know that fuel is flowing into the carb and I have fuel up to this point.

I called the dealer and talked with them about this and they originally did a "diaphragm kit" to my carb and I also found out they DID NOT replace the fuel lines in the jetski. They replaced the Fuel Baffle lines. However, my fuel lines are not gray, they are black. But they have 1989 stamped on them (so I know they are old). I do plan on replacing those but that is besides the point now, the "damage" has been done.

The dealer said it will be either no charge to fix what they worked on (if that is the problem) or $150 to take apart, clean and put the carb back together.

Seeing everyone here knows Im a major novice, is there anything else I can do at this point or just take it and have the carbs cleaned?

I would like to drain the fuel tank and replace all the lines before next summer. BUT that wont help me now.

Keep in mind that the ski ran great on the water after I got back from the dealer and it started right up a 2nd time I took it out. It only stopped starting once I took the gas cap off. (Whatever this is even worth)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts