Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right just aquired an old jetski which i dont know much about. i tried to get an online manual as a pdf but nothing. i have dead electrics. i have disconnected the button assembley on the handlebar and thats all ok with the continuity meter. i have now decided to take apart the electrical box because the outside is so corroded. inside is quite flakey too but not much in the way of corrosion i can see yet. i am going to take everything out and clean the box n put it back. any idea what my nexts steps should be? i have no knowledge of this machine. i did have a kawasaki 550 stand up that i restored and reconditioned so i can do some stuff.
im twiddling my thumbs wondering what to do next....

absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated

andrew :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
New solenoid and solder the wires (black/white & red/brown) together eliminating the plugs in the circuit. If still doesn't work, check the starter once you have a new solenoid by pressing the start button and checking how much the battery voltage drops. If it drops to say 7-8 volts, you will need to overhaul the starter motor. also, check the main fuse in the elec box. Otherwise, make sure no wires are corroded and it is earthed good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya thanks for the reply! :)

I have checked the fuse thats fine. checked the connections thats fine. had the switch assembley in bits first day but just ran continuity on them and seemed to be fine although you talking of voltage drops i think i need to look again. anyways its still jsut dead. i shorted to solenoid to try get the starter motor to work. it spun but its not engaging so i guess i need to look at that too also now. i am guesssing that ita engine out for that but shouldnt be a problem should it. im going to look up solenoids now. looks new but guess you cant tell really.
im really really grateful as ive only just obltained it. being a wakeboarder i want to be able to use it for kickers and sliders, just for the crack. i mean so its broke what more do you want for free :dunno:
i have heard alot of talk about stator plates. does that come into the equation?

:cheeky4:

·
Registered
323 Posts
The stator is only a drama if you donjt have spark. But you need it winding over first. Sounds like you will need to replace the solenoid, theyre about $80 here in australia so about USD$60. Also, the reduction gear which spins out and engauges with the flywheel sometimes can get sticky when let sit for ages. Sometimes you can unstick them by hitting the start button heaps with heaps of battery voltage to try an unstick it (once you have a new solenoid ofcourse). And if you cant unstick it you will have to take the front engine cover off, remove the flywheel with a puller and replace the reduction gear. Engine wont have to come out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh dam.... as you answered another question about engine mounts i have done the damage already. do you think i ought to tighten them back up, then take the cover off? get it winding as you say first.

i should have bought a runner....:laugh: thanks dude

·
Registered
323 Posts
did you say you have tried to undo the mounts and they are spinning too. If thats the case you will have to replace them because they will have already broken. I would change the solenoid first and put in a new battery with plently of voltage and see if you can get the reduction gear to throw out. If not you may have to manover the engine off the mounts in the engine bay to get the puller onto the flywheel and you can do the mounts then. If you do get it unstuck you will then have to do the mounts before you run it because you will destroy the drive shafts with broken mounts (and vibrate big time).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right.... undone the engine mounts and 3 are shot. the engine is now out. on inspection the engine feels nice tight and free. Couple of things. as i turn the engine there is a such or blow or pffffffft sound at the base of the inlet manifold so i guess theres another job on the list.... i have undone the flywheel cover and everything is just surface stuff but its got to be cleaned out. I have undone the first silly little long bolt on the starter and its snapped :dunno: i need to inspect it and put some graphite powder in it or something to that effect. i will take the flywheel off tomnoro as i have bought a puller and no way will that fit. do you know what type i need or can i make something up?? its proving to be a long list of things well at least after its done i know where everything is ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
geez mate, why are you pulling the starter apart???? Its working, just the reduction gear is not throwing out. Do you know how to inspect and clean starter motors cause it wont work if you do it wrong. You shouldnt touch it if you dont know about it. Just make sure the flywheel needs to come off to get the reduction gear out. sometimes they come out without pulling the flywheel off. I reckon you have done way too much, the whole problem with your ski is a 1/2hr fix and you have the engine out meaning you have made heaps more work for youself and cost yourself more money by breaking startor motor bolts and engine mounts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi yes i guess i shouldnt be, just in my nature to make sure all is functioning correctly. I said that the starter spun but didnt engage which isnt entirely true. it spun most of the time when shorted but not all the time so it has to come out. one of the mounts was completely sheered off 2 were broken just spun easy and one come off bbut its falling apart. i really think it would have been just time before the engine more or less fell out! i really want to clean out the in ner parts of the hull. things like the inlet leak i just wouldnt have noticed. i can now inspect everything.
the inside of the flywheel case was very brown looking with water too. im gionna give it a good clean. i am still going to order a solenoid this week and leave the engine on the bench with the plugs out? should be ok for a few seconds :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
yamaha marinejet 650t

hi.did you fix ure problem with starter.i have a yamaha 650t and the starter just spins and does not engage with the flywheel.took the starter out and it spins freely.put it back in and it worked.good.left it for 10mins and tried again same thing the starter just keeped spinning.i think the problem could be the battery not putting enough power to the starter motor or the starter motor itself. maybe you could help me please.?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
andy i cant help but im sure that GCwaverunner can. it could actually be a number of reasons right from worn contacts to just being gunked up. bad earth lead ect. i have left m,ine soaking in a bit of penetrating oil. its very corroded. i could just have to replace it if its intermittantly working like you say yours is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds Like Your Starter Reduction Gear

Sounds like the starter gear....often called bendix, or starter clutch. The starter motor is turning, and the bendix is not kicking out to make contact with the flywheel......

You will need to pull the front cover, remove the flywheel, and replace the gear......

Check out sbtontheweb.com for aftermarket starter gear.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts