Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a few weeks till I go to closing on my house and am going to be buying some toys - ATV, truck, dirt bike, street bike and jetski. I havn't been on a Ski in a few years and mostly rode by buddies Sea Doo GSX I beleive it's like a 96-97 he bought it new back then. I know it wasn't the limited. Anyhow I need help deciding on a used one. Personally I don't think I'd buy a Seadoo as I know too many people with blown engines especially the engine that came in the GSX limited and the 3 seater (same engine). And from what I've seen Seadoo is the most maintenance required one there was. I don't want a 3 seater just a 2. I drove a Tigershark once the dealer actually took it to the water so I could test drive it and wish I would have bought it. It was the one with the step hull design. I've always heard the kawasaki's were the most unreliable. I want something kinda fast but not too crazy and reliable with hopefully not too much servicing needed. What are your experiences and recomendations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really have one. Depending on shape, hours and such. Not looking to buy immediately but soon. Trying to get advise here so I know what to go look for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude find a 1999 or 2000 Kawasaki Ultra 150 with low hours, if you can pick one up for somewhere around $4,000 in good condition that's sweet. It's a two seater with a top speed of 70mph with awsome holeshot. Those two years were the fastest production ski's ever made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I was told wrong but back then all the dealerships rating Kawasaki as the least reliable and the 150 as the top one to break. Keep in mind Seadoo was rated second least reliable and worst on maintenance costs. Is this really the case or are they all about the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe that no matter what ski you buy there's not one that is more reliable than another. It depends if it's a good engine, how hard you run it, how you store it, do you winterize it ect. But on my 2000 ultra 150 the guy I bought it from had the engine rebuilt after 96hours, which isn't bad considering that he ran it for almost 7 years without a problem. He sent it in to group k. check there website out if you get a chance. They do some sweet stuff to the engine, anyway since I've owned it I have not had a problem with it and it now has 129 hours on it. Also it will pull a 200pound wakeboarder!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts