Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Help Dies and goes nowhere 1997 sl700 dlx

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  birddog 
#1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a 1997 polaris sl700 dlx. The previous owner told me it ran fine and he started it up and did a compression test and all seemed good. The pressure was 120 on both cylinders. Today I cleaned it up, greased it, changed the plugs and the filters.

I took it out and it died?? I finally got it to run and it wouldn't go anywhere. It was like I was towing something really heavy but I wasn't. I gave it full throttle and I was going about 5-8mph's.

The previous owner told me he removed the thermostat and left it out. He also said he hadn't used it for 6months and that the crab should be cleaned and the gas should be changed. Well I emptied half the tank, the gas smelled fine and I sprayed the carbs up with cleaner. I added additives. Everything seemed fine until I got it in the water.

I noticed in the electrical box there was a light blue wire that was unplugged so I plugged it in, that didn't help.

What should I do. I just got this ski yesterday as a present for my girlfriends b day which is tuesday. Should I take it back and demand my money??

Could it be a rpm limiter?

If I wanted to check my rpms on what wire do I connect the gun to?

He also told me that he takes the carbs apart all the time without gasket kit and just cleans the jets??

Also it smokes alot at high rpms on the hose, blueish whiteish

Help

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
The color smoke you describe is from burning oil.If the ski is oil injected,there could be a problem with that. If it is premix there could be to much oil mixed in.Try putting in fresh gas.You might check these things out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.