Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe someone can help. I have a 1989 Kawasaki jet ski 650sx. Got it out of storage about 5 weeks ago and it would not start, Started checking things out and found I had no spark. So after all the basic checks I tested the CDI and it tested good. Then I broke open the watertight electrical box. And every thing tested with in the service manual specs. I then tested the continuity on the wires from the stator to the electrical box and they were all fine. The only thing I haven’t ran any kind of test on is my stator. My Kawasaki shop manual only shows how to test the voltage output of your stator while the engine is running. I bought this Jet Ski new and have done all the reg. maintenance on it and I have had very little problems, until this year. I have tried a few postings on some Jet Ski forums but I am sorry to say I believe some of those guys who responded have way too much water in the head. Some suggestions were new battery, spark plugs, jump-start it, bad gas, or even carb problems. Well I put new plugs in every year, and a new battery every 2-3 years this one was going on its third year and was showing some strain so I did replace it. But I don’t think a jump-start or new gas is going to give me spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the same problem, I've replaced every electrical component on this thing and still no spark, I don't know if you ever solved your problem, I'm hoping you might have some insight into my issue.

George, 1989, Kawasaki sx 650

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. After lots of parts swapping between two of the three I found it to be the starter. the brushes were so worn that the engine wouldnt turn over fast enough to create a spark. This same problem then happened to a friend of mine. I pulled the starter apart, changed the brushes, part # 21039-3702 from Kawasaki,(I bought a spare set in case of discontinue). Put the field winding in a lathe and gently used a draw file to clean the brushes contact area. Re-installed the starter and she turned over like a sewing machine. Beautiful blue spark:appl: and then it flashed right up.
Hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new starter, new battery, new coil, new cdi, magnets on flywheel look good. Just after I bought my new exciter coil I got about 5 good sparks. Now nothing!
When I looked at my black/yellow wire in the group of wires that come from the stator to the electrical box, the sleeve was deformed like it was overheated. It actually melted through the sleeve in 2 places. No other wire showed signs of ant heat or corrosion. Inside the sleeve the wire was all corroded. It was not broken in any way. I replaced the black/yellow and black/red wires. This black/yellow wire is the ground from my stator plate.
Could the bad ground wire caused my new exciter coil, or my new CDI to fail?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts