Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 XLT1200. The starter went bad and the guys i was with tried to start it over and over again. now no power. I replaced the starter but still no power. I have found a small fuse box with 4 fuses but they are fine. I'm sure there is something else I could do besides take it to the dealer for $75 per hr. Any help would be great guys. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
he was going to remove the cdi and check it out. We went through the security reset...Didn't work

He wasn't getting power to the dash so it has to be the cdi no?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the mechanic at the dealer and he said it is the starter solenoid. So I ordered one of them first. I trust your advice man, But $70 is better than 400 or alittle less. I will try that first and then the CDI unit. Then you can tell me I TOLD YA SO. LOL.
I did get it to turn over by jumping the solenoid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Get a test light and follow your power. There is a brown and red wire harness coming from the start/stop switch. Check if there is power on the red wire. Then you could jump over to the brown wire and see if the starter turns. If not, starter going bad usually takes the solenoid with it. Starting issue not CDI related. Check power at fuses too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is a relay assy. Yes this could be the culprate but the is no starter solinoid for these water craft. You can jump the relay or check to see if there is power. But that is why I told you to have the cdi only checked not to buy one yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Suppose you could disable the kill switch also. Connector with black and white wires think you just disconnect since it connects to a ground in the cdi to kill the engine. Relay is in the electrical box so might be a little rough to get to and then put back together the box. If you just jump the solenoid, you are putting power directly from the battery to the starter and not checking the start/stop switch, kill switch, or power to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed the starter relay, about $70, It is working fine now. Thanks for all the help guys. I love these forums. I have been on Ford truck forums for years and thats what made me look for this forum. Thanks again. I will be on here FOREVER!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
XLT 1200 No Power to starter

I am wondering if I have a similar problem and need some advice. When you had this problem with your 1200 what did the machine do? I push the start button and I see START flash, but the starter does not turn over. Is that what you saw?

How do I trouble shoot the CDI vs. Starter vs. Silenoid vs. someting else?

Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am wondering if I have a similar problem and need some advice. When you had this problem with your 1200 what did the machine do? I push the start button and I see START flash, but the starter does not turn over. Is that what you saw?

How do I trouble shoot the CDI vs. Starter vs. Silenoid vs. someting else?

Thanks.

Brian
When I had this problem I got no lights or START flash or anything...I dont know how to test those things sorry......Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts