Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the jet ski community and need some general advice/ guidance. I have recently acquired an aftermarket 97 Tiger shark 770 and am having some running issues. It has a new engine with about 8-10 hours on it at the time of purchase. The owner had tore out the oil injector and added a primer to help with starting issues. Since it's a new engine I filled it up with some lean 30:1 mix. When I purchased the machine I was aware that it had an issue with the flywheel and wouldn't start. It turns out that the clutch bolt had come loose and stripped the flywheel key. This wasn't a big deal, simple fix and I'm out on the water.

Now I am experiencing an issue where the engine outright dies after a long idle or when the throttle is pinned down for ~ 15 seconds or so. I'm aware that there is a break in period, so I haven't been holding high speeds for extended periods of time. It starts back up after a few clicks and gets going again just fine as long as I'm sitting 20-60% power. This seems like a fuel/ carburetor issue. My best guess is that the fuel is too lean or that the carbs need to be cleaned out. I would just like to know what sort of steps I should take before tearing it apart. I was planning on just running out that fuel and going to 50:1 and hoping it solves the issue, however I fear damage on a new engine. Anything helps!

Thanks,
Alex

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Sounds like it's due for a carb rebuild. Sounds like it's running out of fuel. Could be poor quality fuel pump diaphragms from a cheap kit before you got it, restricted inlet filters in the carbs, or they just need a through cleaning and kits installed along with verifying the mixture screw settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More of a question mine runs longer when you first crank it runs several mins slow ,idle ,fast does not matter then it all of sudden dies then only runs for min . Seams then running time shorter and shorter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts