Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a few days ago and only got 1 reply. Iwould like info on where to buy parts and what brand. I smoked the # 3 piston I also found some oil in the hull so I'm assuming there is a oil pump or oil line issue. My plans are to rebuild the top end and block off the pump and go pre-mix. I will also go thru the carbs. When I get the carbs off for re-build should I replace the reeds? On the performance side are there any good upgrades that I should look at? The boat is a 96 Wave Venture with under 200 hours that other than the engine problem is in excellent condition. Thanks in advance!:appl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Bob, I just bought a 97 1100 with a smoked #1 piston- did you check the oil injection lines before you started tearing into the engine? They become very brittle after a few years and its a cheap and easy fix- its kinda a pain to premix all that fuel each fill up! one question I had for you is Did you or are you going to remove the engine for the rebuild? The manual says to remove it but I got the cylinders out with it in the hull- I just wonder if i'm going to me able to compress the new rings when I get into it-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disassembled the top end in place. I have a Clymers manual and it says you can do it in place. There is a good chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder that will do most of the work compressing the rings for you.I did find some oil in the bottom of the hull so I'm guessing I have a line or pump issue.I haven't totally decided on removing the pump but I'm leaning that way. My big issues right now are what and where to buy the parts? I am going to bore all cylinders and reolace the pistons and rings along with a complete rebuild of the carbs and fuel pump. I'd also like some info on the reeds. If I replace them is there a certain type or upgrade that may boost the performance. I will also have the machine shop check and true the head. Searching the related threads on here, I've found alot of talk about one of the best performance upgrades is the impeller, Solas sounds like the choice. After I get the moter done I may deal with that. Any more input would be great !!! Thanks.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
A new aftermarket prop is probably the best choice in a upgrade for more speed and better preformance from your machine- I'm pretty sure I have a solas on mine- Another thing to look at is the grate- I have a ram grate that pushes water into the impeller- it makes for better handling and turning especially in rougher water-

I have an aftermarket water box also-I don't like to mess with the carbs too much- (theres just too much that could go wrong and a pain to tune them all in to run in unison)
I just order my parts from DennisKirk.com - they had the best prices that I could find- good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
A new aftermarket prop is probably the best choice in a upgrade for more speed and better preformance from your machine- I'm pretty sure I have a solas on mine- Another thing to look at is the grate- I have a ram grate that pushes water into the impeller- it makes for better handling and turning especially in rougher water-

I have an aftermarket water box also-I don't like to mess with the carbs too much- (theres just too much that could go wrong and a pain to tune them all in to run in unison)
I just order my parts from DennisKirk.com - they had the best prices that I could find- good luck!
I'm with speedfreak, denniskirk.com is the place. I have bought from other places but you cant beat dk's prices!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Dennis Kirk sight is pretty impressive. Guess my next step is to take my case to the machine shop to see what oversize I'll need then order the parts. Also need to decide on wish set to buy. There are a few choices. I guess standard verses the high performance, couple hundred bucks difference. I wonder if the high performance is worth the money, I'm not opposed to spending more on it if it will improve performance or longevity. Keep the info coming!! :thumbsup: Also need to know about reed sets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks guys! Dennis Kirk sight is pretty impressive. Guess my next step is to take my case to the machine shop to see what oversize I'll need then order the parts. Also need to decide on wish set to buy. There are a few choices. I guess standard verses the high performance, couple hundred bucks difference. I wonder if the high performance is worth the money, I'm not opposed to spending more on it if it will improve performance or longevity. Keep the info coming!! :thumbsup: Also need to know about reed sets.
Why do you need to overbore?? I would go with the standard, its not worth the money to go performance.
If the reeds arent bad, keep them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The piston is totaled and the bore got scraped pretty bad by the rings I'll take a pic tommorrow and try to post it. Thanks alot for the intrest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
atlantic jet motorsports has awesome prices on rebuild kits, Check them out.

I just got a 1200 non-pv complete kit--hotrods crank,pistons,gaskets, and a tube of threebond for under $800 to my door

john

1 - 14 of 14 Posts