Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a js550. not having much luck in ridingit standing up. should i put all my weight on the rear of the ski?i can get going and get up on my feet but can only stand up for a few seconds before falling off.any advice?i also thought about adding a very small fin to the bottom to help with stability will that help?

·
Registered
36 Posts
That seems to be a problem on here(no responce). Try staying low on the ski till you get to a decent speed then try to stand.Also make sure your learning on a glassy surface, creek or river. Trying to stand at high speeds can also be difficult because of there being less of the ski in the water. Bend your knees slightly and ride with your feet apart and one foot just in front of the other(stagard stance). Keeping your center of gravity low while learning is key to sucsess.The straighter you stand the faster you will become off balance.Dont be afraid to ride it like a motorcycle. Lean into your turns and if you turn and the rear end slides out from under you that means you need to put more weight on the rear of the ski.Depending on how much power your ski has,you can use throttle to help you regain balance if you are starting to fall during a turn(as long as you are falling in the direction you are turning).Good luck and be patient.These are a blast to ride with so many options for fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the response. yeah i can get going etc.. i just cant seem to satnd up very long with out falling off .should i shift my weight all the way to the back or or evanly distribute it ? thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 6' and 180lbs and i ride almost to the rear of the ski.At higher speeds when the ski starts to bounce or porpose thats when I put weight on the front. Keep your center of gravity low until you learn how to control it better. Where do you live?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Baytown TX. A little far. My good friend is from maryland but im not sure exactly were though.

Try riding on your knees for a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 for bending you knees and staggering your stance.......

I find that I have the best luck telling ppl to keep the handle pole right at your waist when when learning, so you can bend you knees and stay squared up with the ski!!!

keep working at it!!!! there is nothing in the world like riding a jet powered log!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts